Chapter 12

Ellie sat there for a few seconds collecting her thoughts trying to calm her nerves. The man she was sitting across from could change her life. She straightened her shoulders and faced Mr. Kentwood as he sat there patiently waiting for her to begin. He was handsome he was almost pretty. His blonde hair was combed back without a single strand out of place. His eyes were a warm brown, reminding her of soft brown velvet. His face was clean shaven, and his features were soft. His grey suit was well tailored and fit his tall lean frame perfectly. Everything about him was the opposite of Blake.

"Mr. Kentwood, I'll get right to the point." Ellie raised her chin slightly and straightened her back even more. "It's my understanding there is an opening for a teacher here in town."

"Yes, there is actually, although very few people know about it."

"I would like to be considered for the position."

The only indication of his surprise was the slight raising of his blonde brows. That was not what he had expected her to say. He was shocked actually, that someone of her standing in the community would be asking about a job. "Miss. Matthews, I mean no disrespect by my next comment but, why would someone of your, uuhh, your standing in the community want to become a schoolteacher?"

"I take no offense at all Mr. Kentwood. I simply wish to be a productive member of society and make my own way in the world."

Emmitt sat there trying to fully comprehend the conversation. He knew she didn't need the money. He knew exactly how much money she had in her own personal account. So, what would drive a young beautiful woman of means to ask for a teaching position? She should be thinking about getting married and having children. "What qualifications do you have, Miss. Matthews?"

"Qualifications?" She asked softly.

"Yes, we have to make sure our teachers are qualified to teach our children. Have you ever taught before?"

Ellie could almost feel her shoulders sag in defeat. This wasn't something she had really taken into consideration. "No, Mr. Kentwood, I do not have any formal training to be a teacher. I did however get top marks in all subjects when I myself was a student. I also help my siblings and our neighbors, the Weston's children. Please if you give me a chance, I'll prove to you and the town that I am more than capable of doing the job."

The grandfather clock in the corner behind her chimed eleven o'clock causing Ellie to jump slightly. "It is rather loud, isn't it? It still startles me at times. Miss, Matthews, would you do me the honor of joining me for an early lunch? I'm afraid I did not eat breakfast this morning and I find myself quite famished."

The last thing she wanted to do was eat but she certainly could not tell him no. "I would love to join you Mr. Kentwood." Ellie said then gave him a dazzling smile.

He stood and walked around his desk to stand beside her, then held out his arm. "Shall we go then?" Ellie stood and took his arm, letting him lead her out of his office. They stopped at the desk of the snippy little clerk long enough to let him know where they were going.

The sun was shining on them as they walked down the wooden sidewalk to the café several buildings down. Ellie didn't see the man dressed in black come out of the general store across the street. She didn't see the scowl on his face as she threw back her head and laughed at something her escort said to her. But Blake saw her, and he didn't like the way it made his chest tighten, no, he didn't like it at all.

They had just ordered when Ellie heard the bell jingle over the door signaling a new customer. Our of the corner of her eye she saw Blake Weston walk in and sit down on the other side of the dining room. He placed his order then got up and walked over to where they were sitting. "Ellie." He said, tipping his hat. "I didn't realize you would be in town today."