Chapter 20

She was exhausted, physically and mentally. The day had been much more difficult than she had anticipated. She got tired so easily now. It seemed like all she wanted to do was nap. Thank goodness her mother attributed the tiredness from making wedding plans and not that she was carrying Blake Weston's baby. Ellie moved her hand to her slightly rounded abdomen, her eyes instantly filled with tears. This time she didn't even bother to try and stop them. She was tired of holding them in.

She rolled over onto her side and curled up, hugging one of her pillows to her and silently sobbed until she could cry no more. Dammit, it just wasn't fair! She should have married Blake today and he should be making love to her on their wedding night. Instead, she was alone, and she was going to be that way for the rest of her life. No, that's not true. She will always have her baby and she would always have her family. She would also have Emmitt. No, he wasn't the man she had wanted to marry but he was her husband.

He would be good to her and the baby. He was a kind man, and she honestly enjoyed his company. It may not be the life she had planned but they would have a good life. She was sure of that. Those were her last thoughts as she finally drifted off to a not so restful sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blake took another swig from the now half empty bottle of whiskey. He didn't even notice the burn anymore as the amber liquid slid down his throat. His body was in the barn loft at the Triple L but his mind was in town with Ellie. All he could think about was Kentwood touching her, making love to her, learning every secret about her body that only he had known, until tonight! He was furious that she had chosen to marry Kentwood over him! Not only that but she hadn't even waited for her bed to get cold before she moved on someone else! Why would she marry someone like him? He was a pansy ass banker with pasty skin and putty soft hands! It was disgusting.

It didn't matter anymore anyway. Kentwood had actually done him a favor, he didn't have to worry about, no, he didn't have to bother himself with trying to protect Ellie anymore. She was always getting into trouble somewhere, like when she and Lydia had been kidnapped. If Ellie had just kept her beautiful mouth shut, Angel would have never taken her, and he wouldn't have had to save her.

He would have never made love to her and he wouldn't know how perfect her body fit his and how eagerly she responded to him. He wouldn't know what it felt like to kiss her full lips or what it felt like when he made her climax. "Shit!" Blake struggled to bring his thoughts back in. No, Ellie wasn't his problem anymore and Kentwood had done him a favor. He didn't want to be tied down. He craved the adventurous life of a U.S. Marshal and the freedom he had. He could bed any woman he wanted any time he wanted to. At least that's what he told himself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been two weeks since she and Emmitt had gotten married, and she moved to his apartment above the bank. She had not been back to see her parents since her wedding day, and she missed her mother and father. Maybe she would ride out to go see them today. Ellie lay in the four-poster mahogany bed, deep in thought before she slowly opened her eyes and glanced around her new bedroom. She still wasn't used to it and had to continually familiarize herself with it. It was a little on the masculine side and wasn't really to her taste, but it was very nice. It was also obvious that no expense had been spared when Emmitt decorated. The room was painted a deep red wine color with the baseboards, moldings, and floors were a dark mahogany.

She turned her head to see a comfortable looking deep red leather armchair sitting in the corner beside the mahogany washstand. The one feminine item in the room was the creamy white china pitcher and water basin with tiny hand painted red flowers. The windows were also covered in creamy white shears framed by heavy velvet drapes the same deep red wine color of the wall. Her bed had a creamy white satin coverlet with matching pillows.