Kabu's Enlightenment

(7170 words!!!!)

The gym challenge opening has finally arrived in early Summer. Everyone hustled and bustled into the Motostoke stadium to get seated or to sign up last minute. The energy emitted from the gym comes only once a year, those who couldn't make it emit the same energy at home. The Galar tradition has everyone abuzz. The same could be said for the gym leaders as they chatted amongst themselves in the locker room. Except for two of them. Nessa and Milo sat on a bench and watched as Bea punched a punching bag with precision and focus.

"Do you think she knows?" Nessa asked.

"I think so," Milo responded. "I mean she lives with him, she's his stepsister."

"That doesn't matter, they can keep secrets from their family."

"Yeah, but have you seen the lad? Poor thing has trouble keeping things on the down-low."

"Yeah, but give him some credit. He managed to keep it hidden from us this whole time."

"It's only been three years, at best. Crushes can go for a lot longer than that, so I don't think it's something to sneeze at."

"Milo! I am appalled at you," Nessa looked at Milo. An exaggerated surprised look covered her face. "Are you telling me you could do better?"

"Where'd you get that?" Milo asked dubiously.

"You just told me three years is nothing to sneeze at. You must have a crush that lasted longer than that if you're able to make a bold claim like that." Nessa smirked.

Milo crossed his arms and faced away from Nessa. "Maybe I have, what's it to you."

Nessa laughed and put her hand on his shoulder. "We're getting off-topic." She looks back at Bea who started conversing with Gordie and Raihan. "One of us has got to ask her eventually. Seriously, not being able to know something has never been this stressful."

"Ugh, I know. I want to know how it went, too. I think you're starting to rub off on me."

"Oi, don't get so cocky now." She bopped Milo on the head, making him flinch and whine lightly. "I'll ask her after the ceremony."

"Maybe we can go ask Allister later?"

Nessa laughed. "Sure, like he'll tell us if we ask politely after suddenly showing up at his doorstep."

"It was just a suggestion."

"What are you two blabbering on about?" A new voice spoke, stern, and precise. Milo and Nessa both stiffened as they turned to see none other than Kabu staring down at them

Well shit. "K-kabu! Wha- Hi... what a nice surprise." Nessa stammered.

Kabu raised an eyebrow. "I've been here the whole time."

"You were! I mean, you were? How interesting."

"...Nessa, you're in my gym."

Nessa was sweating bullets by this point. "R-right. I knew that."

Kabu rolled his eyes at the two. "Is there a reason why you were talking about Allister?"

Milo spoke up. "He recently came up to us for advice to get a girl. We're just curious about what happened and were contemplating asking Bea."

"Why'd you tell him?!"

"I don't see the harm in it. What's wrong with a couple of extra people knowing? It's not like we're outing him out to the whole region."

Kabu nodded in approval. "Thank you, Milo, for telling me the truth. So what's happened so far?"

Before Milo could say anything more, Nessa covered his mouth. "Why do you need to know?"