Chapter 2

For me the most depressing thing in the world is waking up after passing out because I know that my peace is over and I've returned to hell.This time seemed no different.

As I started to become conscience again I could hear the drip of my iv, the roughness of my straw bed,the coldness of my thread bare blanket that somebody wrapped around me to try to trap in warmth, and last but not least the smell of mold that grew in the hospital's basement.

I slowly opened my eyes only to be meet with the sight of my only friend Jacquelyn Jones aka JJ sleeping on two folding chairs that she probably set up next to me.

While JJ wasn't a runt she was also frowned upon in our pack because she was a proud lesbian and homosexuality is viewed as wrong in our pack which led to her getting bullied and us banding together to not be completely alone.

JJ is the one of the only two people able to see pass that I'm a runt and treat me like a human being.The other being my doctor who was the only one willing to operate on me when one of my ribs punctured my lungs when I was 7.

Back to JJ she taught me how to write, read, do math, geography,hell so taught me how to fight even though I suck badly I know the basics.

JJ's been like my sister ever since we broke up from our miserably failed relationship.

The feelings are still kinda there but we know that we can never be together so we stick to flirting with the occasional kiss.

Ok so we're sisters when we're not kissing.

I lifted myself out of my laying position noticing the soreness but paid no attention to it since I've been through worse.

"JJ."I murmured tapping her head and she swatted my hand away and I snorted but quickly regretted as my hands flew to neck knowing it was were that bastard put one of those staples.

I picked at my see through blanket and twisted it up before whipping it across Jacquelyn's behind making her squeal in protest as her eyes popped open.

"Charlie your awake."She gasped calling me by my preferred shortened version of Charlene."Yea how bad was it this time" I asked touching my tender and slightly swollen face.

"Concussion,4 broken ribs,your jaw was fractured, and after I removed all the staples you had a few infected wounds."My doctor said walking through the door with a charming smile on.

"Hello doctor Eric."I sung ignoring my body's pleas for water."Charlene last time you were in here I'm pretty sure I told you not to do anything to provoke your dad."Eric said bending down and started gently unwrapping my rib bandages.

"What can I say it gives me mediocre pleasure to tell them the truth about themselves."

Eric is like a father figure and JJ and I were like his adopted daughters.Eric was the one that delivered me from my mom's stomach 17 years ago.

He knew I was a runt a first glance since I was born 2 pounds 3 ounces with a small frame but he was determined to give me a piece of normalcy before everyone else knew.

So he told them that some of the most bravest shifters in history were born abnormally small which isn't necessarily a lie.

See they way Eric worded it made it seem like I was gonna become this great huge wolf that was gonna take down packs with a snap of my head but what he really ment was that runt's are know for dying with bravery in their hearts sorta.

I hissed as Eric's fingers probed against my ribs trying to feel how far they already healed."No improvement."He sighed before gently wrapping the fresh gauze tape around my wounded ribs.