"Good to hear," I grinned, handing over his hearing aid. I don't think he knew what I said, but he grinned back at me anyway. Maybe lost in his excitement. My heart lurched in my chest, wishing I couldn't grab and hold him. Especially as I felt the first cool breeze of the evening wind. Only his warmth sounded appealing to me right now.

"It made me want to try the surfboard," he said after putting in his aid, then extended his hand to pull me to my feet. "I think you've convinced me."

"Yeheeeee," I pretty much squealed, throwing out a fist pump. "Yes! Alright, let's hit the water."

"And you sure you remember what your Dad taught you?" he asked, wringing his fingers together nervously.

"Leave it to me, Mr. Keats, you'll be a shining star in no time."

After checking that it was safe to leave our belongings, I carried the surfboard to the sea. Aubrey went in ahead of me this time, splashing around like an excited puppy. We were knee-deep when I set it down on the water, and Aubrey guided it towards a more comfortable depth. The water was calm, but its current was strong enough to cause problems if we got careless.

Since Aubrey clung to the board, I took charge of ensuring that we didn't drift. We were at waist level now. He looked less excited than before, steadily growing more nervous. His brows furrowed; lips formed in his signature frown. Good thing he kept his hearing aids in since I could help keep him calm.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Fine," he quickly said, but I didn't miss his subtle chattering of teeth, or his fingers clinging to the board till his knuckles turned white. The water wasn't particularly cold, nor was the air. It was still hot, even if it wasn't as diabolical as it had been throughout the day. Was it nerves that made him this way? Or was he weak to the subtlest temperature changes?

I couldn't tell.

"Are you cold?" I asked, looking down at his arms. "You got goosebumps."

His teeth chattering stopped while he looked down curiously at his arms, pretty much answering my question for me. "...Yes," was all he said.

I noticed the surfboard's leg rope floating on the water's surface. Taking a deep breath of air, I dove down, forcing my body to fight the wall of water until I could reach Aubrey's foot. His leg moved as I attached the strap to his ankle, then resurfaced. "You surprised me," he said.

"Keep this on so we don't lose the board," I said after catching my breath. I wasn't much of a swimmer, so my lungs weren't very well trained for even the shortest dives. He nodded with understanding. "Think you can climb on?"

His eyes widened. "What if it tips?" he asked.

"I won't let that happen," I said with certainty as if I had the right to make such a loaded promise.

If by chance it did tip and his hearing aid fell out, I'd be in the deepest dog doo-doo. But I felt sure about what I said. Sure, or stupid, I didn't even know. He hesitated for a moment but ultimately chose to trust me when he gripped the board and hauled himself up.

"You're too far up the nose," I said, remembering the way my Dad explained it yonks ago, way back when he tried to get me into it. "Slide back a little."

He did as I said, and now floated comfortably on the water. I pulled us a little closer toward the sand, just as an extra precautionary measure so we didn't stray too far. No matter what, I had to keep this as safe and pleasant for him as possible. Until he was ready to push himself even further.

"Think you could spin the board to face the other way?" Aubrey asked, momentarily glancing up at me.

With a proud salute, I did as he asked. Feeling the board glide across the surface of the water, he turned from the sand to face the open ocean. The sound it made was calming, save for the few people still yelling and splashing around us.