seven

**These last chapters require knowledge of events from the DH book before this time point

**These last chapters require knowledge of events from the DH book before this time point. This story will either mention past events or even skip over them completely. Please note that all the events from the DH book have happened here, some are just not written down. Again, please have at least some knowledge of the events from DH before reading. Thank you***

Hog's Head Inn. January 26, 1998

Zoë woke up to the opening of the portrait that night. Bolting straight up, she took the fake wand Draco gave her and pointing it to the direction of her aunt's portrait. 

"Lumos." Zoë heard the voice of a girl say. The room filled up with light, blinding Zoë for a few moments. Zoë walked closer to the person, lifting the wand up higher. She stayed quiet, trying to not expose herself in any way. 

Not hearing anyone, the girl spoke once more. "Hello?" The voice sounded tired, and Zoë could now hear small gasps of air from the person. Finally close enough, Zoë was able to see the face that belonged to the voice.

"Evanora?" The girl looked at Zoë, her eyes widening and filling up with tears. In an instant, Evanora dropped her wand and ran up to Zoë, bringing her into a tight hug. Zoë hugged back as best as she could, as her weak arms were unable to hug Evanora as tightly as she was hugging Zoë. After what felt like hours they broke apart, holding hands instead.

"Where were you? We thought you were dead we thought that He-Must-Not-Be-Named had gotten you we were so worried." Evanora said as Zoë shook her head. 

"No, I'm okay." Zoë smiled for the first time in a while. "I'm just glad you're okay too." Evanora smiled back, bringing her muggle best friend into another hug. 

The moment was cut short when a bang was heard downstairs. The two girls let go. 

"Zoë...what was that?" Zoë cursed under her breath as she retrieved the fake wand.

"They weren't supposed to come today."

"Who are you talking about? What is going on? And what's with the wand? Zoë ans-" Zoë took hold of Evanora's shoulders, guiding her to the closest chair.

"I'll explain everything when I get back just...stay here and don't make a sound please." Zoë pleaded as she left the room, going downstairs. Evanora could hear everything.

"You are not supposed to come here today. We agreed on Friday." Laughing could be heard of several men. 

"You think we care? Just give us what we want and we'll leave." It was silent for a few moments before a thud could be heard. "There, all the potions requested. Now go." A few inaudible words were spoken before Evanora finally heard a loud "CRUCIO." 

Zoë's screams were loud and clear. Evanora was about to run downstairs when the screaming stopped. "Now that you had y-your fun..go." Zoë's voice stuttered. The men laughed once more. 

"You. Get me that knife over there. I want to have some fun." Footsteps echoed the room followed by a desperate "LET ME GO." Screams were once again heard. Evanora made her way downstairs, gasping and hiding as she saw five Death Eaters surrounding Zoë, four of them pinning her down while once was on his knees, chomping huge chunks of hair from Zoe's head. The only thing Evanora could see from Zoë was her feet. Finally, all of them let go. The one Death Eater holding the knife dropped it right beside Zoë, the knife coated with blood. When all of them left, Evanora quickly made her way to Zoë, kneeling down next to her.

"I'm so sorry Zoë. I should have done something."

"No, it's fine. I wouldn't know what to do if you were caught." Evanora looked on Zoë's head. Huge pieces of hair lied beside her face, with some patches of her scalp bald and bleeding, as if the Death Eater had taken parts of skin along if the hair.

"Oh Zoë.." Evanora passed her hand through what remained of the hair. "Here, let me heal you as best as I can," Evanora mumbled a few incantations, the familiar cold sensation passing through Zoë's scalp. She thanked Evanora, struggling to get up to a sitting position. With Evanora's help, Zoë went up the stairs, collapsing on the couch. She began to explain everything to Evanora, from the fake wand to Draco, and to helping Death Eaters for her own protection. Evanora sat silently. After Zoë stopped talking, they both sat in silence. Finally, Zoë spoke up once more.

"You should get going. It's not safe here."

"Hogwarts isn't safe either. That's how I found this place in the first place. I was running away from Carrows." Zoë knew everything about what was happening at Hogwarts from Draco, with Tom Riddle taking over with Snape and the Carrows in Hogwarts. It hurt Zoë to know that a person she trusted and cared deeply for was on Tom's side. Despite all this, Zoë still could not stop thinking about Severus. 

"This place is even more dangerous than Hogwarts. Now go. Other Death Eaters could come and see you." Zoë stood up and limped her way to the portrait. She swung it open, telling Evanora once more to go. The two girls hugged once more before Evanora went inside the tunnel.

"I'll tell the others you're safe," Evanora said before closing the portrait. Zoë made her way to the couch once more, catching sight of herself in the mirror in the room. Zoë had slapped one of the Death Eaters. They had decided to torture her "the muggle way" as she had attacked one of them in that way. 

Zoë didn't even have the power to cry as she reached the couch, playing with the hair she had left.