twenty

Hogwarts

Hogwarts. July 3, 1997

Besides the whispers of the students, the castle stood silent.

The death of the headmaster Albus Dumbledore took effect immediately. Worried parents began to take their children back home, and the ones who stayed never cracked a genuine smile, some forced during these times of mourning.

The Golden Trio also stayed behind, along with Harry's girlfriend Ginny, as well as Luna and Neville. 

The days leading up to the funeral were cast by a dark shadow. The locket found by Dumbledore and Harry that night was fake, taken by someone by the name of R.A.B. All the efforts had gone to waste.

Harry, in fact, had no motivation to look into it just yet. The pain and horror he experienced that night were still raw in the following days, and nothing occupied his mind other than the death of Albus.

That July day, students entered the Great Hall, although no one seemed to have the appetite to eat. The Head of Houses led their students down to the grounds of the Castle, where chairs were placed in front of a marble table.

The day was the most beautiful day of the summer.

Everyone took their places in the seats, with Harry, Ginny, Hermione, Evanora, and Ron taking a place at the end of one of the rows.

Hagrid came in a few moments later, holding in his arms the body of the once wisest man, wrapped in purple velvet decorated with golden stars.

It really hit Harry right then and there that Albus Dumbledore was dead. The man that helped him through so much had took his last breath only a few weeks back.

The beautiful summer day went cold for Harry and the sound of the man speaking was silent. He clutched the fake locket tighter. 

After the man spoke and sat down, people started to scream. In front of them, the body of Dumbledore was engulfed by white flames. The higher and higher they rose, with a small appearance of a phoenix. But it ended as soon as it came, revealing the white marble tomb where the body of Dumbledore once was.

Small whispers emerge from the crowd, all facing the back of the row.

A girl in all black walked her way through the middle of the rows. Professor McGonagall stood up and went to her, speaking to her in a small voice. The girl only nodded, a small tight smile placed on her lips.

Her long dress flowed in the small breeze of the day, making it seem bigger than it actually was. In her hands, she carried a single white rose, as well as a small wrapped gift.

Rita Skeeter wrote in her notebook.

Dolores Umbridge kept a close watch.

The students only looked in confusion.

And Harry looked in pain.

Zoë Dumbledore finally reached the white tomb. Placing the single white rose carefully on the tomb, her lips moved as if she was having a conversation with her deceased uncle. Hagrid came quickly to her aid as she collapsed on the floor, dropping the gift she had in her hands.

The half-moon glasses peeked through the wrapping. 

Hagrid gently carried a crying Zoë to the back on the row, placing her next to him. As everyone rose to leave, Zoë stayed in her seat, looking blankly at the tomb.

Harry broke up with Ginny.

Everyone left.

The area stood silent.

Harry, Hermione, Evanora, and Ron made their way to her. Hermione and Evanora hugged her tightly.

"I'm so sorry." 

Zoë nodded, looking up at the group. She looked at Harry, her eyes empty. Harry looked away, guilt crashing down on him.

"Where will you be going? You can't stay in the castle now." Evanora asked Zoë. She only shook her head. 

"You can stay with my family Zoë." Ron suddenly offered. Zoë smiled. She stood up and hugged everyone. 

"Thank you." Her eyes glimmered under the sun, her expressions genuine.

"But I'll find out where I'll stay."