01

Ten years later
Cheryl
I opened the door of our small house. We lived in the same suburb, in the same house since more than ten years now, which had wrecked my mother, but even after ten years she could not let go of the memories and dads belongings. She cleaned his favourite mug every other day, even though nobody had ever used it since the call. She changed the bedsheets twice a month, as if he still slept in them. She never moved his baseball bat a single inch. It was still in the same corner of the closet, where he had left it.
I closed the door and saw my mother sleeping on the sofa. The food in the oven was burnt. I made a large pot of coffee for my mother, after taking the food out of the oven. She didn't wake up to the sound of the coffee machine which her brother gave us for Christmas. I woke her up and when I came near her, I could smell the scent of whiskey.
It had wrecked my mother. She quit her job and was totally depending on her only brother. She started drinking regularly. And sometimes, when she had gotten really drunk, she would sleep with other men, to get rid of the pain and feeling incredibly dirty afterwards.
It hurt me seeing her like this. I handed her a mug of coffee.
"There is more in the kitchen, if you want another cup or two.", I whispered, knowing she had a headache.
She just nodded and took a sip. Meanwhile I tried to figure out what of the baked mushrooms was still safe to eat.
"Leave some for me as well.", my mother whispered. Her voice was unusually low and throaty.
"Mom, almost all of them are burnt. I'm glad you didn't set the house on fire.", I made sure I had turned off the oven.
"Then leave the burnt ones for me. I don't care about dying of cancer.", for a moment I couldn't trust my ears.
"Mom, you can't say that! Do you know how that makes me feel?", I raised my voice at her.
"Shh, Cheryl. I don't feel well. You're so selfish.", she answered.
I could feel my eyes getting wet, but I tried my best to hold back the tears. Me crying would make her feel even worse. I had lost my appetite, so I went to my room to get my backpack, as I still had to go to work.
I started working at a diner about a year ago. It was never my dream to become a waitress on roller skates, but I earned money, which was what I needed for now, so that we wouldn't be so depending on my uncle.

I took the bus to the city and walked the short way from the bus stop to Terri's diner. I opened the glass swinging doors and immediately percieved the smell of all that tasty food. I walked behind the counter to embrace Terri and then put on the roller skates and apron.
"Perfect timing. There are a lot of costumers today.", she wiped some beads of sweat from her forehead and was clearly exhausted.
"I guess I'll get to the work then.", I put on my brightest smile to attend to the costumers.
A wealthy looking woman had just taken place, when I decided to serve her.
"Good evening, my name is Cheryl and I will be your waitress tonight. Would you like to see a menu?"
She looked at me for a brief moment.
"No, I'd just like a coke and some fries.", she said and kept looking at me, as I wrote down her order.
"Small, medium or large fries?", I asked.
"Large.", she almost said it like it was a shame for an elegant lady like her to order large fries.
"Coming right up.", I answered before making my way to the kitchen. I forwarded her order to one of the cooks and was able to bring it to her shortly after that.
"Thank you very much.", she said and I nodded smiling, "Also how to you manage to be so quick on those?"
She threw a glance at my roller skates.
"Practice makes perfect.", I answered and she was satisfied with the reply.

It was getting late and there were fewer costumers, but the woman I had served earlier this evening was still there. She hadn't really eaten much, but had already ordered her fourth coke.
I decided to get to her table again:
"Is everything alright with the food?"
"Yes, I just underestimated the amount."
I nodded, assuming it was just an excuse though. If she felt full, she probably wouldn't have ordered three more cokes.
"Should we pack the rest for you to take away?", I asked politely.
"No, actually", she looked at me again, "Why don't you sit with me? Your feet must hurt."
She was right, but I had no idea whether Terri would be fine with that.
"Thank you very much for the offer, but I have to-", I pointed to the other tables, as she interrupted me.
"There's barely anyone there. Come sit with me and help me with the fries.", she encouraged me again.
I hadn't eaten since the morning, so I decided to sit with her.
"So, are you from the city?", she asked.
"No, I live in a suburb near here.", I suddenly felt like I wouldn't belong to where I was.
"That's nice. I adore those sweet little houses. They have a certain charm to me.", she's got notable banter. Also I absolutely didn't expect that answer, "Myself, I live in an appartment, right down the street. My husband and I just moved in."
She was married. Of course she was. A preppy woman her age wouldn't be living on her own, unless she wanted to. I nodded, clearly unable to keep the conversation going.
"May I ask how old you are? You look quite young to be working already.", once again I apprechiated her banter.
"I'm sixteen. But I also go to school. I work here every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday to support my mother financially.", she was very surprised, as I said that.
"We didn't have an easy time, after my dad passed away.", I added for clarification.
"When did he pass away, if I may ask?", she sounded very careful.
"Ten years ago. But my mother never got married again, neither is she in a relationship, of course.", I was kind of surprised about how openly I talked to her. It didn't quite feel like she was a stranger.
"Was he a soldier?", she asked and I nodded. "My condolences. He must have been a couraged man."
"He was.", I just said.
"Don't you want to eat some fries?", she changed the topic.
"Are you sure you're alright with that?", I asked before taking one.
We kept chatting as we ate and I learned that her name was Mildred, she was new in town, she rented an appartment central Chicago, had no kids and was fifty years old, even though she surely looked younger.
We had just finished the fries, as Terri interrupted our conversation:
"Sorry to disturb, but we're closing in fifteen."
"No problem, we were finished anyway.", Mildred said.
She paid and left a ridiculously high tip, as she left the diner.
"Who is she?", Terri asked, as I took off the roller skates.
"Her name is Mildred and she's new in town. I don't know that much about her. She wanted me to keep her company though.", I answered.
"Maybe she was left by her husband.", Terri giggled.
"I don't think so. They said they moved in together."

I was walking down the street, subconsciously looking at all the expensive apartments until I arrived at the bus stop. I quite enjoyed working and the last minutes being on the bus. It was like the calm before I would get home to my mom, who was most likely still drunk or hung over.