Chapter 26

Edited

Few people lay dead in the basement , their bodies torn apart ruthlessly, from their smell, Klaus identified them as werewolves.

“I recognize them Dad, they are from Mom’s pack, my pack”, Hope cried looking at the dead werewolves.

Caroline held her daughter and looked across the room where she saw a little hand move.

She quickly rushed there and saw a little baby whose eyes were closed but she could hear it’s faint heartbeat.

“Klaus! The baby is alive. Oh my God, how could they do this to a baby. He has to be atleast six months old”, Caroline cried picking up the baby.

Klaus and Hope approached her carefully and took a look at the baby to see if he had any injuries.

Klaus bent and sniffed the dead werewolf near his feet.
“Wolfsbane , they all have been poisoned with wolfsbane and then killed. COWARDS!“, Klaus raged.

“So, how come the poison didn’t affect this little guy?“, Hope asked softly.

“He is a baby, he hasn’t made his first kill yet, which means he is not a complete werewolf. That’s why he isn’t affected by the poison. It just makes them sleepy and dizzy.”

“We need to take him to a hospital, Klaus, we can’t leave him here “, Caroline pleaded to him and he nodded.

They took one last look at the basement and rushed to the hospital.

Hope compelled the doctors and they admitted him in the NICU.

Caroline was pacing outside waiting for news on the werewolf baby as well as her friend.

“Love, you are going to wear a hole in the floor if you keep doing that. Come here, sit with me”, Klaus comforted her and she sat by him holding his hand, " They all will be alright, Caroline, don’t worry, sweetheart."

“Klaus, I um..I wanted to ask you something. Please, please consider it before refusing. Please, Klaus, I wanted to ask if we-”
Klaus cut her off, “If we could keep him, love?”
"How did you know what I’ve been thinking?", Caroline wondered looking at her handsome lover.

“I know you Caroline, I can read you better than anyone else. I love you and your kindness so much”, Klaus confided kissing her on the lips. 

***
Rebekah and Kol were doing their best to comfort their brother who kept blaming himself for what happened to Elena. Elijah held his head in his hands and cried softly.

They had lost so many people because of their past actions and he didn’t want to lose them too.

The nurses had taken an unconscious Elena to the Emergency Room for a check-up and the doctor had informed them that Elena was taken to the Delivery room for an emergency C-section.

Elijah just felt numb now, like everything had shut down, like everything was over. He thought that he should have just sacrificed himself in the beginning like he had planned so that none of this would have happened.

Elena would be still safe, healthy and happy.

Their child wouldn’t be struggling to be born this early.
Rebekah and Kol knew what he was thinking but Elijah was wrong, none of this was his fault.

Even if they hadn’t come back in Elena’s life, their niece or nephew would always be in danger because of the powerful magic.

Caroline and Klaus joined them and soon they were all comforting Elijah.

Just as Rebekah and Kol finished calming down Elijah, the doctor came out along with the nurses with a solemn face.