Chapter One: New Beginnings

As the whistling birds sang their morning tune, I tiredly dragged myself up from the dreaded sleep I got last night; after all, today is the first day of school and I think I never have actually gotten a decent sleep, ever. I opened up the uplifted country loft windows in my room, then sliding the over draped curtains to each of their sides exposing the sunlight and the beautiful morning breeze that was cool, but still had a hint of temperature hidden somewhere in there. I run my hands through my blonde knotty hair, shaking it out to decrease the amount of snarls I had within the behemoth. I had to take a shower, so I walked to the linen closet just outside the bathroom door and grabbed my two towels; one for my damp body and one for my hair.

Turning the knob in the bathroom, I open up the door exposing the deep pumpkin colored tiles with the light brown walls; mostly a more fall feel to it. I stripped completely nude leaving my bare skin available for touch; then unraveling the shower curtain and dragging it to its side, I turned on the beaming hot well water and stepped in, rinsing away all the bad sleep and waking me up. I lather myself in my all time favorite shampoo and conditioner that makes me smell like a pine wood forest; it may sound gross and terrible at first but you really have to smell it first to judge, it’s extremely hard to explain. I then scrubbed my body head to toe with some skin softening soap and then shaving the areas that needed to be shaved.

Stepping out of the shower, immediately the cold breeze hit my bare body like a sixteen wheeler hitting a little car on the highway; wrapping my body up in the towel following my hair, I stepped out of the bathroom and bad into my bedroom. My bedroom was a pale light yellow color with a dark oak hardwood floor with different patterns of rugs and a full size bed in the corner with patchwork duvet covers. My room isn’t really anything special; it’s really small since our house is actually tiny in comparison to other houses around here. I scavenged through my drawers to find something to wear for the first day of school; that means you have to dress to impress rather than wear my usual sweats and a tank, I actually have to wear some jeans and a shirt but I didn’t know which one to choose.

Picking up blank tank top and my white cardigan, I slip them both on following a pair of light blue jeans with rips all along the leg. I looked at myself quickly in the mirror as I re-arranged how the items looked on me; after so, I pulled out my black braided leather belt and slipped it in the belt loops of my jeans to make sure they stay up for the whole day. I let my hair out to dry with the natural heal rather than a blow dryer and put some hair serum to prevent it to frizz up throughout the day; I slipped on my black strappy sandals and walked into the kitchen where my mother and father were reading the morning newspaper and drinking their coffee; black.

“Morning,” I perked up the mood in the room since it was silent other than the dim voices you could hear from the living room where Klein was sitting watching the news.

“Good morning honey,” my father said, walking up and kissing my forehead like he always did since I could ever remember. My mother smiled at me and I grabbed myself a piece of toast that was already made and on a white plate placed on the counter. I started to munch on the overly cooked toast as I headed out to the living room to see Klein laying spread eagle across the sofa in just his boxers and some socks.

“Maybe you should get some clothes on,” I said bluntly between chews as he looked at me with a disgusted look.

“Maybe you should be quiet or go to school,” he tells me, and I did so. He drives me to school since my parents can’t afford to buy another car for me, so my mom, dad and Klein are the only ones who have a car and me on the other hand; either have to take the bus or walk; both dreadful things to do.

“Whatever,” I say as I finished the piece of toast and walking back to the bathroom to brush my teeth. Once I was done with my morning routine, I stood in front of the television that Klein was watching until he got dressed.