Chapter 2: Shut Your Jell-O Hole

Start from the beginning

"Wait!" I grabbed Lucas's wrist before he punched Rick.

They both turned to me. While Rick was taken aback by my involvement, Lucas was fuming in anger.

"Tate, what the hell are you doing?" Bailey, Lucas's mate, queried.

"Prevent Lucas from sending us into a war," I grumbled, and they all seemed rather confused. "Geez guys, think about it for a second. Why would Alpha Aiden leave his Beta and pack members here at the mercy of our hands while he kidnaps Emery? It doesn't make sense because he would and should know that we'd kill them for that. Would he really let his Beta die for this?"

When everyone lifted their eyebrows at my contradiction against our Beta, I realized it may not have been as obvious as I assumed.

"Look, I'm not saying they're to be trusted, but I don't think he'd leave his second in command to die just to get a mate." My eyes flickered to Rick, "Would he?"

"He wouldn't," He answered before turning to Lucas. "From one Beta to another, would your Alpha leave you to get murdered by a lesser pack?"

Lucas stole his hand away from my hold and punched Rick again.

"Jesus dude, shut your Jell-O hole would you!" I said exasperated by his stupidity.

He chuckled but held his hands up in surrender, "Okay fine, I concede. But you know she's right. My Alpha doesn't have your precious Luna."

Carson, my father, stepped in and placed his hand on Lucas's shoulder, "Tate is right, I don't think he knows what happened to Emery. Let him up and go help Thane track her down."

He nodded and headed off towards the forest.

I gave Rick my hand and helped him up from the ground as he gave me a thankful smile.

Before he could pull away, I tightened my hold on his hand and lowered my voice to a deadly tone, "If you're lying and take my trust for granted-"

"I'm not and I won't. You have my word."

"It means very little to me," I said as I dropped his hand and backed up as he nodded.

"While we're not going to kill you right now," My dad started, "it doesn't mean your pack is free. I must insist that we keep you in our packhouse until we find our Luna or your Alpha. It's either that or our Crypt."

Rick wiped some blood off the cut of his cheek as he agreed, "My Alpha's innocent but lead the way I guess."

"You're Alpha doesn't exactly have a clean track record," I noted, and he smirked.

"That he does not, which is why I won't kill your Beta for putting his hands on me."

A few of my pack members growled at his words and I cut him a look, "You really need to learn to shut up dude."

"Forgive me..." He trailed off as he waited for my name.

"Tate," I answered.

His brow rose, "You're Alpha Thane's little sister."

I narrowed my eyes at him, "Very strong and fast sister, yes."

Sure, I was Thane's little sister but that shouldn't overshadow the fact that I could kick his ass.

Not Thane's sister or Carson's daughter. Just Tate; destroyer of rogues and master of bad luck.

Has a ring to it doesn't it?

"Come on, I'll show you to the packhouse," I gestured to him and his pack before turning to my father. "I got it over here, you can go help with the search."