EP 11: Parikshit meets Sukadeva

Parikshit started wandering in the forests. He decided to fast unto death and do penance to attain Sri Krishna. He abandoned all the riches and royal clothes and wore a simple robe. He went to the banks of Ganga and took a deep dive. He did prayers to God Surya. Parikshit sat down firmly on the banks of the Ganges to concentrate his mind in Krishna consciousness.

Suddenly, he was distracted. He saw Great sages and Great thinkers of the world heading towards the banks of the Ganga. The group included Sage Maitreya, Sage Dwaipayana, and Sage Narada himself. There were many Raja Rishis too.

Parikshit stood and welcomed them properly. He bowed and took their blessings. All took their seat on the bank around Parikshit.

Parikshit said, "O Brahmanas, O Great souled ones, I am really blessed to have all the enlightened ones near me during the death time of mine. I want to concentrate on the lotus feet of Sri Krishna and hear his pastimes. O Great Sages, Have pity on me and sing the deeds of Sri Vishnu till my death so that I can attain liberation."

The Sages said, "O Great King, it is not astonishing for us to see a King like you because your ancestors were pious like you. It is the wish of Gods also that you hear the glories of Narayana. Let us wait for the greatest devotee of the Supreme Personality of Godhead who will do that favor for us."

Everyone waited for a while. The King saw a young one approaching the group. He looked like a teen, undressed and dark in color like God Krishna himself. He was the powerful son of Maharishi Veda Vyasa, Suka Deva. He had a very attractive body. He had a pair of lotus eyes, curly hairs, and delicate limbs. He was welcomed by everyone. People who saw Suka passing got attracted and followed him.

The Krishna devotee, King Parīkṣit, advanced toward him, offered his respects by bowing before him, and politely interrogated with loving words and folded hands.

"O Great one, You are the knower of everything

"O Great one, You are the knower of everything. You are the one who can help me. You are the best spiritual master. I beg you to enlighten me. Please let me know what a man should hear, chant, remember and worship, and also what he should not do. Sing me the glories of Sri Krishna and I believe no one can do it better than you."

Suka deva opened his soft lips and said, "O Great King, I am pleased by your question because it is helpful for mankind and the world. The one who wants to be free from all miseries must hear the great glories of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Krishna. I studied Srimad Bhagavatham from Prabhu Shankara himself and my father, Veda Vyasa which is nectar for the souls to attain Sri Krishna. It is equal to Vedas and other divine scriptures. I shall recite Srimad Bhagavatham to you which will not only help you attain salvation but also to those who read this in the upcoming ages."

"O King, You realized that your death is approaching. One should be bold enough not to be afraid of death and face it as death is natural and unavoidable. Fix your mind on the lotus feet of Sri Krishna and hear the glories of him. Your mind becomes free from all sense objects by this. "

Hence in this way, the great Srimad Bhagavatham was revealed to the world

Hence in this way, the great Srimad Bhagavatham was revealed to the world. Let us hear the glories of Sri Narayana through the words of Great Sukadeva and King Parikshit.

TO BE CONTINUED.......

(Published on 30th June 2020, Tuesday)

NEXT DAY: The creation of the Universe

(Image source: Google and Owner of the art)