Chapter Thirty-Five

In the last couple of weeks while we were at the prison, Daryl became like an uncle to me. He taught me how to track even better than I already knew and which berries were safe and which were poisonous. He taught me a bunch of stuff to do with engines and cars and bikes, as well as how to hotwire a car. He told me about how he lost his brother and I mostly learned about the Governor, Philip Blake, through him.

Daryl became over-protective of my sister and I, especially when we were out on runs. He went on the run for medicine when Sammy and I got sick with the deadly flu virus. He said, to the group, it was for everybody, but later he told me that it was really for us. He wasn't too happy about Carl and I dating either. I think when he was trying to keep me busy, he was trying to keep me away from Carl.

*FLASHBACK*

I was sitting in my cell, beating Carl at chess, when I heard Daryl's deep southern accented voice yelling for me. "Kaitlyn! Hey Kait," he was yelling.

"In here," I had yelled back. It was kind of our thing.

"Hey, quit the yelling! You'll attract every walker within a 50 mile radius!" Daryl said jokingly, while entering our cell.

"Sorry," I said laughing. "Check and mate. Sorry, Carl, maybe next time." I stood up after winning the game. Our rules were, loser had to pack up and it was pretty much always Carl. "What's up, Daryl?" I had asked.

"C'mon. I'm teaching you how to change the spark plugs on the bike," he said.

"Cool. See you later, Carl," I said, smiling.

"Hey, by the time you're sixteen, you'll be able to take the whole engine apart, clean it and put it back together again. Especially with me teaching you," Daryl had said, nudging me with his elbow, and I had laughed at his last remark.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

"Now the Samurai!" Gareth yells. Daryl is already at the door. Michonne looks at us and begins to walk over. "Stand at the train car. Ringleader, Stump, Archer, Samurai. In that order. Ringleader, open the door and go in," he calls.

"The kids!" Rick retorts. I feel Gareth's beady eyes on Carl and I as we stare at the concrete slabs below us. He stays silent for a few seconds, sensing our nerves.

"Go, kids." he finally says. I interlace my fingers with Carl's as we start to walk. "Ringleader, open the door and go in." Gareth repeats.

"We'll go in with them!" Rick shouts. This adds to the giant knot that has formed in my stomach. I know something bad is coming.

"Don't make us kill them now," Gareth warned. Rick, sensing that he had made the situation worse with his outburst, bites his lip and steps forward. He opens the container door, with a loud creak. With one last look at Carl and I, he steps into the unknown. My mother follows and so does Daryl. Michonne walks a little slower, looking back at us.

Once Carl and I step inside, the door slams shut behind us. My head is spinning with the fear of what just happened. Rick grabs Carl, and my mother catches onto me with her one good arm, and grips me in, what feels like, the tightest hug ever. I begin to panic, as I start to think of what will happen next.

Slowly, I see eight faint figures. People. A few start to lead the rest over to us and I grab my knife from my boot, out of reflex. I see the silhouette of someone with short hair, and it looks like a male, come forward, with the rest following behind.

When I can finally fully see his face, it is someone I recognise. Glen! Behind him, is Maggie. Things start to piece together in my mind. That's how they got the watch and the poncho and the riot gear. They've been trapped here all along. Two more faces appear, both of whom I recognize. Bob, who I knew vaguely from the prison; and Sasha, who saved my life while I was in quarentine with the flu.

"Rick," Glen asks. Rick seems speechless for a few seconds.

"You're here," Rick finally says. There's silence in the darkness once again, before Rick speaks again. "You're here." he repeats as four more faces emerge. I don't know why, but I feel hopeful for a second. After a quick scan of the group, I'm disappointed, defeated, deflated. I don't know any of them, and my sister isn't among them.

Rick looks at the two men and two women behind Glen, Maggie, Sasha and Bob, and gives Glen a questioning look. Maggie answers. "They're our friends," she says. "They helped save us."

"Yeah? Well, now they're friends of ours," Daryl says. I would normally be surprised at Daryl being, well, friendly, but given the situation, I could picture a nun swearing, and Jesus doing cartwheels.

"For however long that'll be," says a tall, muscular, somewhat intimidating, red-haired and bearded man.

"No." Rick states. He seems to be thinking about something. I think back to the attack on the prison. We managed to get out alive, and we will again. We are stronger than they are. They have no idea what we've all came through. We beat the bad guys once before, and we'll do it again. I then think of how I lost my sister the last time but I push the thought as far down as I can and hope that it doesn't resurface.

That's the way things work in this world. You lose people. People you love. You just have to get over it, as another bump in the road. I'll never overcome the pain of losing Sammy, but all I can do is make sure that I keep the rest of them alive. My mum, Carl, Daryl, Rick, Michonne. Even Glen and Maggie. I saved Glen's life in quarentine. I didn't have my knife so I led the walker away from his unconcious body.

My thoughts are interrupted by Rick's voice. "They're gonna feel pretty stupid when they find out," he says. I'm baffled by this remark and I look around. Everyone has the same expression on their face.

"Find out what?" the tall red-haired man asks. He is met with stony silence as Rick walks over to the small crack in the door. Everyone is anticipating his next move, including me. I want to see how we're going to get out of this one, and as Gareth said, he is the "Ringleader". The suspense is annoying and the silence is deafening, so just as I'm about to say something, Rick starts.

"They're screwing with the wrong people."

_________________________________________

Hi guys! So that was the last chapter! Sorry. But I made it extra long just for you. Tell me what you think in the comments.

Also, can you let me know if you want a sequel, because I really enjoyed writing this one.

Plus, you can check out my new fanfiction about Chandler Riggs. I'm still working on the title and storyline but you can check it out once it's up.

As always, feedback is appreciated. Vote, Comment and Follow.

So yeah... Bye!

~RiggsPie xoxox