Chapter Thirty-Four

"Where did you get this watch?" Rick demands.

"What?" Alex asks, panicked.

"Where did you get this watch?" he repeats.

"I got it off a dead guy. Didn't think he'd need it!" Alex gasps.

"Uh-huh.What about the riot gear? The poncho?" I snap. It's Glenn's riot gear and Maggie's poncho.

"We got the riot gear off a dead cop. The poncho was on a clothes line." Gareth answers, and I snap round, wielding my machete. I really wish I had a gun.

"It doesn't have to go down this way. Just drop the weapons and no one gets hurt," Alex says.

"Do you think we're stupid?" I ask rhetorically.

"You think we don't see your man, the sniper on the roof?" Rick sneers.

"Put it down! I've got this!" Alex orders the sniper. "Just put it down!"

The rest passes in slow motion. The sniper lowers his weapon but the rest of the people still have theirs pointed at us. Rick shoots Alex in the head, which causes a storm of bullets and we run.

Rick and my mother try to protect Carl and I with their own bodies. As we don't have a clue of the layout of this place, we run around aimlessly, through random doors. But every room we run to, leaves only one door opened. After about three rooms, I notice this pattern. "They're leading us into a trap!" I yell.
"There!" Daryl shouts, pointing at an open door. Seeing no other opportunity, we go through it anyway. The next room is lit up with hundreds of candles and words are painted on the floor and walls.

We first. Always.

As soon as possible, we escape from the creepy candlelit room, emerging into the dully lit daylight. All over the roofs,are people with guns. Big guns. We head for the fence, but are blocked by more people with guns. We're surrounded, with no place to go.

"Drop your weapons!" I hear Gareth's voice boom. I look at my mum. and she nods, placing her gun on the ground. I put my machete, and two of my knives on the dusty ground, but keep the knife in my boot plus the one in my hair concealed. Carl, Daryl, Michonne and Rick do the same. "Take the knife off of your stump," Gareth yells and my mother does as she's told. "Okay. Now..." Gareth continues.

"Please," I say.

"Please," Rick repeats. "We can just walk away and you'll never have to see us again."

"You're leaving us with no choice. You don't trust us anymore." Gareth says. "Now, Ringleader and Stump," he says, gesturing at Rick and my mum. My mother is not happy with being called "Stump". "Go to your left. The train car. Go." Gareth says pointing at an abandoned train container, with one door and no windows. Rick and my mum stay still. "You do as we say, the kids go with you. If you don't, they die, and you end up in there anyway." Rick seems to ponder the situation. He nods at my mother and she looks at the ground and they both start to walk towards the large train car, which is marked 'A'. I think that they were both sent first because they're the parents and Gareth really needs some leverage. "Now, the Archer!" Gareth calls to Daryl. Daryl looks at me with what I can only describe as sorrow.