"Well, what is it, then?" the second one hissed, pressing a jagged knife to the man's throat. "Speak."

"I think not," I said calmly, stepping from the shadows while at the same time minutely indicating for Ahsoka to remain hidden.

The thugs spun around in surprise, though their posture soon turned unfriendly, regripping their weapons as they checked out the newcomer. I stood still for their scrutiny, waiting for them to make the first move, though I was as ready as a coiled spring.

"You're a Jedi," one of them chuckled in obvious delight, spinning the barrel of his gun slowly. "Maybe you don't know the price that could be fetched from you."

"Oh, I'm very aware, thank you," I responded politely. "But perhaps you have forgotten one thing: I'm a Jedi."

They exchanged confused glances before looking back at me.

I tucked my cloak comfortably around myself. "Kindly leave this gentleman alone." I gestured to the man who was watching the proceedings with a mix of pleasure and ... fear?

"That's not likely to be happening any time soon," the one with the gun snorted, but I sensed his overconfidence was a facade. "We want his satchel. And besides which, you're just one Jedi. Who do you think you are against us?"

I cocked a ginger eyebrow, then glanced behind me, pausing a moment. Then I called back. "Ahsoka, please come and join me." As she stepped forwards, I gave her a slight nod, silently asking her to come out with confidence. First impressions, they say.

The fifteen-year-old strode out, her face set in stone as she stared down the thugs, her fierce gaze unwavering as she adjusted the lightsabers that swung from her red-brown belt. That was the final straw. One Jedi was bad enough, but two? The thugs took off down the street without another word.

Ahsoka smiled brightly at me. "That went well."

I couldn't help but return her smile. "Well done." Then I turned my attention to the man who still stood with his back pressed against the wall, his satchel held tightly to himself. I bowed slightly. "Obi-Wan Kenobi, at your service. And this is Ahsoka Tano, my friend's apprentice."

He eyed us for a moment longer before stretching out his hand in greeting. "Thank you very much for your help. I don't know where I would have been without you."

I shook his hand firmly. "It's our pleasure. This seems the wrong place for a respectable person like yourself to be. Were you forced here?"

He sighed, changing his grip on the satchel. "No, I came here out of desperation. I have a droid that needs repairing, but I can't find the parts for it anywhere. I thought I would try this place, but I'm not sure that was my wisest idea. I know you're Jedi, but you wouldn't happen to know where you might find these pieces, would you?" He opened the satchel and produced a small tablet. After the screen lit up, he pressed a few buttons, then showed us the plans for a droid similar to an astromech droid, though not identical to one.

I studied the picture for few moments before shaking my head. "No, I'm afraid my friend would be the better one to ask. He's very good with technology and has droid bits and who-knows-what stored in that big brain of his."

The man was giving us a funny look as he carefully stowed his tablet back in his bag. "Your friend is a Jedi – is that right?"

I nodded, but Ahsoka prevented me from continuing by tapping my arm. Her face was screwed in concern as she glanced over her shoulder.

"Master, I think Anakin ...." She didn't finish her sentence, her eyes filled with worry.

"Stay with this gentleman," I instructed quickly. "I'll comm you if I need help." Then I sprinted down the street. I felt it, too. At first, it was just a tremor in the Force, a warning of risk. But it quickly turned into a throbbing, pulsing threat, mingled painfully with hurt and happiness of a bygone age. And it was coming from Anakin: he was remembering something of his past. Then a sharp pain stabbed through my bond with my friend, and the Force fell quiet around him.

I rounded a corner, pulling my hood low over my head and blending into the shadows of the dark street. Sneaking against one of the towering walls, my eyes darted to the end of the alley, where were a couple of people. A hooded figure stood over a young man who was lying motionless on the ground. With a satisfied grunt, the hooded person stepped back, glancing down the street and unintentionally giving me a glimpse of their face. My breath caught in my throat. It was Asajj. My self-control wavered momentarily as protective anger flared in my heart. What had she done to Anakin? There wasn't a doubt about the identity of the unconscious person. But I focused my attention on the job at hand, not the emotions that it sparked.

Asajj stood undecided for a moment or two before stooping to murmur something in Anakin's ear. I wondered briefly if she didn't realize he wasn't conscious.

"Watch out, young Skywalker," she hissed just loud enough for me to catch. "It's always dangerous to come alone. Where is your padawan? I'm sure she'll come along soon enough, when she realizes you're in trouble ... and in pain." She planted the heel of her boot onto Anakin's back and dug it in between his shoulder blades before twisting it roughly. Even though he was unconscious, he flinched, and I had to stop myself from making any noise and blowing my cover.

She continued unsympathetically, a menace to her tone betraying more than she wanted to say. "It hurts when you don't have people to watch your back, doesn't it? But Dooku has a surprise for the lot of you. Wouldn't you like to know what it is? Anyway," she cast a casual glance towards the door at the other end of the street, "I might just let you have some fun. I did promise those nice gentlemen that a Jedi would come for me, and they'll fetch a very good price on you. As for me, I have a ride to catch. So long, Jedi."

I watched in frustration as she knocked on the door, then performed a neat backflip, landing on the roof of one of the nearby buildings. I knew I should follow her, but I worried for Anakin when the door opened and a group of three exited it. Two of them grinned when they saw Anakin's limp form, but the third – wearing Mandalorian armour, I noted – took to the skies, taking Asajj with him.

Hesitating, I considered my options. Should I chase Asajj and leave Ahsoka to help Anakin? Or should I stay and try to track down the Sith later? But I shouldn't have stopped to think, as I realized too late.

The shorter of the two remaining men crouched beside Anakin, drawing a small dagger from his belt. He glanced at his buddy, the tip of the blade hovering dangerously close to Anakin. "How long do you think it will take for the little Jedi to come?"

The other man's blue eyes glinted slightly. "Not long, if we do this." I watched in horror as he plunged his colleague's dagger into Anakin's back, just above the place Asajj's boot had been mere minutes before. Though still out cold, Anakin whimpered pathetically, and I couldn't take any more. Asajj could wait. Anakin couldn't.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Sooo, this went a little darker than I meant it to, soz! It should get lighter, really! 

But anyways, I hope yous enjoyed a bit of Obi-Wan POV; I had a good time writing it. This chapter was gonna be so super long that I decided to split it up, meaning more Obi-Wan in the next chapter! 

Also, any clues who our friend with the leather satchel might be ...?