88 days

It's currently one AM and Jungkook wants to bang his aching head against the wall

It's currently one AM and Jungkook wants to bang his aching head against the wall. Namjoon would yell at him if he were to do anything to fuck up his face, but he's scarily close to not giving a shit. He knows he has a meeting with Hoseok early this morning, but he thinks that's going to be rather difficult running on less than six hours of sleep and with no music for him to choreograph to. He thought that he and Iris would have at least had something by now, but their long hours of labor have been entirely fruitless. It doesn't help that his and Iris's processes for writing are very different.

He figures out early on that Iris starts with the vibe of a song, figures out a melody and then tackles the lyrics, while Jungkook usually begins with writing the lyrics and then decides the other musical elements later. So, there they sit, Jungkook on the couch with a pad and pen in his lap, and Iris at his computer recording guides and plunking out melodies on the keyboard. Despite the incessant sounds of the keyboard, she looks rather disinterested in what she's doing. She'll check her phone, or take overly long breaks for coffee or food that agitate Jungkook, but he keeps it to himself.

Every now and then, Jungkook will show Iris his work, thinking it's satisfactory. Her eyes skim the paper, struggling through Jungkook's messy handwriting and skipping over parts he angrily crossed out. It's in moments like these that Jungkook finds out that Yoongi may have competition for being the most brutally honest person he knows. Within the past few hours, he has gotten:

"It sounds like an angsty twelve year old wrote it."

"Very emotionally shallow, not gonna lie to you, man."

"Oh, no. That makes me want to cry for all of the wrong reasons."

"One Direction called, they want their cheesy lyrics back."

And, most creatively:

"It sounds like Chris Brown and Nickelback had a baby. That's a very disturbing thought."

It was after that last one that Jungkook finally let his building frustration show. He had tried to be nice to Iris, tried not to let her in on his disdain for collaborating on his music, but he was at a breaking point. Iris was here to give him constructive criticism and assistance, but all he had gotten from her was a few melodies he couldn't use yet and some sarcastic comments.

"Are you done?" Jungkook replies. Iris doesn't even glance up from her phone, which only fuels Jungkook's irritation.

"Done with..?"

"Being rude for no reason." Jungkook sighs, tossing his notebook onto the coffee table in exasperation. Iris raises her eyebrows.

"You know there's a difference between being rude and being honest, right?" She asks, glancing up at him. She watches as Jungkook rolls his eyes, jaw pulsing with annoyance.

"Okay, well, honesty helps when it's accompanied by some sort of constructive feedback. All you've done is tell me what I wrote is shitty." Jungkook exclaims, pacing back and forth in the same three foot radius of the small room.