°5 : The Plan°

I left my bag back in my dormitory, the plan in my mind. It made me cringe with fear, but I had to do it to get father's mind off of Fred's punishment.

It was kind of simple, in my opinion.

I'll do levicorpus on one of the Gryffindor's, meanwhile McGonagall's around. And I had a Gryffindor in mind, since he was known for 'embarassing' my father, and he was one of my father's most hated students.

If you haven't caught on, my target was Neville Longbottom.

I kind of felt bad since he was always toyed around with. And he also always avoided me, so this plan was also tricky.

As I started to near towards the dining hall, I could see people starting to flood in, all clustered into groups. The only ones I could see were Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs. I silently thanked the chances that the Gryffindor's weren't excused yet, but that also meant that I had to prowl around the entrance, keeping an eye out for the slick backed, brown haired, buck toothed boy.
All the while, I nervously fiddled with my wand, awaiting for my time to strike. The movement of the spell played over and over in my head, trying to make sure that I wouldn't mess it up and potentially embarrass myself.

After what seemed like an hour, I saw a group of red robed students trod into the dining hall, all conversing with each other. A tick of nervousness tapped at my stomach as it sunk into a bottomless pit. The Gryffindor's were filing in. Now I just had to spot-

Neville stood out from the next bunch of Gryffindors, straying away from them as he kept his head low.
I had to do it now.

"Hey, Longbottom!" I called out, with the friendliest voice possible. I clenched my wand tighter as a small smile spread onto my face. Neville's nervous face popped up, his mouth opened slightly with his bugged eyes staring along.

"Y/n- or S-Snape, um-" he stuttered, stopping in his steps as his legs shook weakly.  I slowly started to make my way towards him, my eyes narrowing. Neville seemed to know what was going to happen, since it's what's he'd been dreading when he first even met my father and I.
Carrying on, my eyes trailed down to his shoes, which were, coincidentally, untied.

"Your shoes are untied." I pointed out. This made him flinch before looking down, his eyes popping out wider than before. It seemed as if he thought I was being friendly, so a goofed smile spread onto his face as in a thanks. But I knew what had to go down next.

Right in the middle of him tying another knot around his laces, I lashed my wand out quickly, pointing it at him, and then, with a quick upwards flick, Neville was flipped upside down, slowly lifting up into the air emitting shrieks as he stopped, nearly 8 feet up into the air.

The students nearby gasped, some laughing, as I bobbed him up and down. Neville pleaded, but I excused him as I looked around for McGonagall, or any professor, for that matter.

"Nice going, Snape! Turn him into a pig for me!" I heard a Slytherin boy, obviously Malfoy, shout out from among the crowd. Everyone else burst into laughter.
I flipped Neville about, letting out laughs in between. Neville nearly started crying when a rush of footsteps parted the crowd.

The students went silent as I felt a sharp tug on my shoulder, turning me around and causing me to lose focus on Neville, who then fell to the floor with a loud thud. Everyone let out a sound of pain, Neville shouting as he clutched his arm.

"Y/N SNAPE! WHAT IN MERLINS NAME ARE YOU DOING?!" Professor McGonagall hissed, spit fraying everywhere. I scrunched my nose up, tempted to try to wipe it off, but in fear of being yelled at more at my action.
"Do you THINK it's appropriate to dangle an innocent student up in the air by their ankle in the middle of a packed hall?" She went on. I simply shrugged, glancing behind her to see my father, standing along with Dumbledore, who had a concerned look on his face. Father looked sorry, for once, as if he wanted to step in to cut the screaming off.
Professor McGonagall struggled with her words of rage, but then just pointed a skinny, long finger at Neville, who was still lying on the floor and moaning in pain.
"Take that boy to the hospital wing-"

"Minerva, have someone else do it. I'll go ahead and have a word with Y/n here." Father spoke up. McGonagall glared at me before storming over to Neville, prodding him up, and swooping him down towards the wing as she cursed under her breath.
The students watched silently as my father glided over, excusing the others as he put an arm around my shoulder and led me off from the crowd and off to a hall opposite of where Neville was taken.

I could hear Dumbledore bellow across the hall commanding the students to carry on into the hall, and that caused an eruption of chatter that filled every inch of wall there was.

When we were well far enough from anyone in sight, father looked up and down the hall before bending down a bit to get onto my level.

"What was going on inside that head of yours that made you think that that'd be the right thing to do while Dumbledore was around?" He snarled, trying to keep it in a whisper, but his anger kept seeping through his pitch as he went on.
"You couldn't gotten expelled. Do you know how incompetent that would've been? Everyone would've looked at us as if we were some type of crazy people. It probably would've went all about the community if some barreled snouted fool spread it about." Father's teeth were barred, and his cold eyes stared into mine.

"But father, don't you see? I had to-"

"Do what? Make a fool of yourself? Try to impress the others by using my spell, that I told you to use ONLY in bad situations?" He was now speaking loudly, hissing like an angered cat. I furrowed my brows as I heard his reply.

"He's got a broken arm now, though! It was all because those three dunderheads laughed at me, and I needed to get back at them! Did you want them to get off scott free after prodding at me?" I hissed back. This surprised father, since I never back talked him this aggressively before.
He stood up straight, his figure looking over me, and his pale hand fixed his robes furiously.

"You honestly think that that's an excuse-" he rose his hand. I knew what was about to happen, since the last time this happened, I was slapped, and was left with a mark on my cheek for two days. My eyes shut, but before his hand could even get a full swing, rushed steps came from the hall.

I knew them as Dumbledore's, when something terribly wrong had gone of. At this, father quickly brought his hand up and patted my head. It felt strange. He'd never done this to me before, but I played along since I guessed that he didn't want Dumbledore witnessing him slapping his daughter.

Dumbledore stopped at the sight of us, his arms by his side and a frowned look sat on his face. He glanced at me, then back at father.

"Severus, I would speak to your daughter and have some consequences done for her actions." He said quickly, which wasn't normal for him. He was always calm and slow, but it was drastically different.
Father started.

"Now, Headmaster Dumbledore, she told me that it was for defence. The boy bothered her somehow, and she had to use it or else she would've been flattened, nevertheless embarrassed, if he were to go up on her." He squinted, tilting his head to the left slightly. "We wouldn't want another student burdened up in their room in a wreck like that Granger of Gryffindor, wouldn't we?"

Dumbledore was visibly upset. His hands balled up into fists, but then straightened out as his chest puffed.

"That's enough, Severus. I've ought to think about this in my office." He went off quickly, my father staring after him as I stared up at his tensed face.

Then he looked down at me, leaned down slightly, and whispered,

"Detention. Today. After dinner. Skip it and I'll go over to wherever you're hiding out and make sure you won't be able to use your wand properly anymore."