°4 : Tutoring°

"Thank you for making it on time, Snape and Weasley! Now, ladies and Gentlemen, if you'd so kindly ready your wands- wrong way, Macklebae- Yes, like that- and head down to the isle. These two are going to show you how to successfully cast Wingardium Leviosa!" Professor Flitwick boasted, sounding too excited with himself. Fred and I, who were standing awkwardly with our wands out in front of a large group of first years, wore dumb smiles to try to make ourselves look 'nice'.

"Er... Hi." I said, waving a bit. Expecting a small squeak of greeting, I was embarrassed to hear nothing fall over to quieted room. Fred cleared his throat before he took the spotlight.

"Wingardium Leviosa, right? It's really easy- one time, I made McGonagall's quill float; should've seen the look on her face! Looked like a ripened tomato!" Fred attempted with a story. A few first years laughed, and quickly, a hand shot up into the air.

"How do you cast it?" They asked. Fred, who seemed stumped at the answer, paused with his smiling, quickly looking over at me for help.
I rolled my eyes at his stupidity. He shouldn't have spoken up if he knew nothing about the spell.
A step forward, and I was off to explaining.

"If you'd all hold your wands out like this..." I held my wand out in a stance that portrayed the charm's, waiting for everyone else to do the same. Soon they did, but I wasn't surprised to see some of the first years holding it lower or higher than supposed to. One student held their wand backwards, and as much as I'd like to see his mistake unfold, Flitwick was quick to correct him.
I continued with a clear voice, wanting to make myself heard alright.
"Now just- swish and flick..."

At that I turned to a desk nearby that had a quill laid out on it, frazzled from the many attempts that partook it. I took a deep breath in, and...

"Wingardium Leviosa!" I casted. Without fail, the quill started to rise limply, looking more like a feathery noodle than a quill. The first years 'oohed' and 'ahhed' as they watched, looking as if they'd never seen anything like it. A proud smirk came onto my face as I bobbed the feather up and down. Even Fred looked fairly interested, zoning out from his tutoring.
Then, I flew the quill back down onto the desk, and the first years gave a small applause. Fred was still looking at the feather, which was no longer jinxed. I brushed his gawking off and carried on.
"Now, as some of you could've seen the stance, that's great. If you didn't, I recommend actually paying attention for once instead of-"

"Alright! Now how you cast Wingardium Leviosa, that's another story. So if you'd channel in-" Fred glared at me before grabbing everyone's attention. He started off with the wand movement that made the spell come out.
Meanwhile, I just watched, silently judging him as he kept changing the movement after many students complained about not being able to cast it. Even a first year was smarter than him, and showed him the right way to do it out of a book.

He wasn't the brightest, and I think I said that enough.

=}{=

After one dreadful hour, our tutoring was up, and at that Fred let out a long, loud sigh of relief, causing many students to stare at him as he walked out, and professor Flitwick giving him a stone cold glare. I silently thanked Flitwick for having us, trying me best to not sound bored, and he didn't give me a glare.

Fred and I walked off down the hall towards to where we planned to go, but before I could turn a corner that led me to the potions classroom, Fred stopped, looking over at me. I nearly ignored it before he called me out.

"Hey, Snape." He called. I turned my head to look over at what he was on about. A small smile spread onto his face, but it wasn't mischievous or mean. It made me furrow my brows in confusion instead of asking what he wanted me for.
"I know how to do Wingardium Leviosa, you know. You didn't have to show off."
I rolled my eyes.

"Then act like it; the only reason I did it was because I thought you didn't know how to." I scowled, and wasting no time in getting down to the dungeons. Besides, father wanted to tell him how it went, so he could blame Fred for something.

Before I went into the classroom that was held up in the cold, damp dungeons, I knocked a timid knock, since father told me to keep it quiet in case he's teaching, so everyone could ignore me if he was in fact teaching.
Almost immediately, the door opened aggressively, and I was greeted by my father's tall figure, and his familiar grouchy face. His eyebrows raised as he spotted me, and took a step aside to let me in, so I went in, and was knocked with a smell that stunk like cabbage and mint. I scrunched my nose up.

"It smells like-"

"You know what you're here for - now stop commenting off topic. I don't have all day." Father said, walking slowly up to the front of the empty classroom. I nodded in fear of being berated once more, and followed him, but stopping before the front of the class.
"Now... Go on."
I swallowed nervously before starting.

"Well, er... I-I introduced the class... And I showed them how to do Wingardium Leviosa-"

"Wingardium Leviosa?" Father scoffed with a light, agitated laugh. "They should be teaching these first years spells that are actually useful, Not ones that'll help you lift a feather." His dark eyes rolled. "Go on."

I didn't know what else to say. That was all I did. I mean, I could tell him about Fred and try to complain about how he was acting, but what would I complain about? He was acting all fine, but father was growing impatient, and his eyebrows started to furrow.

"Well! Fred- or... Weasley went on talking about how he used the spell to float a professors quill, and influencing them to do the same-" I made up. Father's face went sour as he heard me speak about Fred.
I stopped speaking right away.

"I told Dumbledore he shouldn't have sent him down to tutor with you. He might as well be banned from going to the ball." Father said. I nodded in fake agreement, trying not to make him more fed up. "That carrot brain already has detention with me later... I'm going to make sure that he gets extra work." He continued. I flinched as he snarled on, speaking with his hands. I lowered a brow, wanting to say something. My mouth opened, but nothing came out. Father noticed.
"What, were you going to protect him on that?"

"No! I was just saying, I'm going off to the common room now." I timidly answered back. I so wanted to yell that Fred did nothing wrong and to calm down for once, but he'd probably slap me across the face like I just called him an idiot or something.
Father nodded, clearly suspicious, and turned off back to his desk, leaving me to go.

I hurriedly paced off, a worried look plastered onto my face as I clashed into the common room, plopping myself down on one of the sofas and left to think about what Fred was going to have to go through with my father.

I felt bad for them at once. Just because I lied, they were going to be given a worse punishment;
I couldn't let that happen.

A thought fished into my head.

Do something, then. It went on. You won't help out by sitting and feeling down about them. They'd help you out if you knew them well, wouldn't they?

I narrowed my eyes at the thought, staring blankly at the window that had water built up against it.

That was it. I had to do something.

Nothing good, though.

And I only had four hours left to do it.