Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

"Is it?" I asked.

We sat there in silence both not knowing what to say. Nothing we said could fix anything the other had done. It made me painfully aware of the guards' resistant eyes.

"You know she's going to kill me right?"

He nodded, "I do."

"And you know there is no running this time?"

"Yes," he says.

I still needed to know he wouldn't do anything stupid or rash to try and save me. That was the last thing I wanted to happen.

"I need you to let her," I said.

He gave me a grim smile, "I can't do that, Eve."

My eyes widened, "Why not?"

He chuckled, "I ruined your entire life. The least I can do is give you a chance to start a new one. I owe it to Cade and I owe it to you."

My chest ached at the mention of Cade's name. I could hear what he would say if he was here right now.

"Shortie, you can't give up. You have done too much to stop right now."

I could hear what Essence would say.

"Get your lazy butt off the ground and help me kick some ass!"

I could hear what Nova would say.

"Evie-Weavie? Why are you giving up? Is that what a warrior would do?"

I bit my tongue as hard as I could, "I'm not a warrior."

"Yes you are," Alistair said.

I closed my eyes hoping that Alistair would change his mind and just let me die. I just didn't have it in me to fight anymore. Maybe I could just hope the serum wore off and they would kill me anyway?

"Guards," Alistair says, with a voice as hard as stone. "Attack Elder Ryann. Aim to kill."

I gasped, that was the last thing I was expecting him to say.

"Alistair you can't do that!"

I waited for the guards to answer their programmed words, but they never did. I tilted my head to the side like a confused animal.

"I said kill Elder Ryann," Alistair commanded again.

"Speak of the devil," I whispered as Elder Ryann strutted into the room.

"They heard you," she said, her voice as condescending as possible. "The thing is I'm the only one that can control them now. Cool, huh?"

I couldn't think of anything to say. Although the idea of death seemed less appealing now that I was looking at it in the face.

"You bitch!" Alistair shouted.

"Creative insult." She said, rolling her eyes. Her voice hardened like lava in the sun, "Now inject him."

"What about me?" I asked idiotically.

She smiled, "I haven't forgotten about you.

I watched as two guards restrained Alistair and another injected his neck with the serum. He immediately screamed in pain.

As I watched him writhe I felt a hot feeling bubble up into my chest. It wasn't hope or faith, no, it was red, hot anger.

Without thinking for even a second I ran forward and kicked out Elder Ryann's legs. When she was on the ground I kneed on her arms and looked into her ugly eyes.