{2}

Two: Aleksandr's confidence

Kevin had never enjoyed bars, why would he? He didn’t like the way alcohol burnt his throat as it slipped into his guts only to rot him from the inside out. He didn’t like the strange people that tried to make drunken conversations with him. He really didn’t like getting his ass touched by tipsy middle aged women or men. Not to mention Kevin’s small case of claustrophobia.  

But at least bars weren’t clubs. Now those sucked.

Kevin sat at the bar, sipping from a Pepsi mindlessly as he watched the empty stage. A guitar, some drums and a microphone were set up but there was no one to play them. It was 7:42pm, and Kevin was rapidly becoming sick of all the loud chattering and clattering of glasses as the night endlessly droned on.

But then the lights dimmed just a little. Kevin blinked, watching as a spotlight illuminated the stage and three men walked on, one of them being Aleksandr. Kevin smiled a little, watching as his eyes scanned the crowd quickly, his eyes meeting Kevin’s and a small look of glee lit his eyes up even more than the spotlight could ever.

Kevin waved slightly.

Aleksandr picked up the guitar, while the other two went to the microphone and drums. Kevin could see Aleksandr take a breath before his fingers began to work with the strings of the guitar. The loud chatter was quickly replaced by cheers.

One man with black hair flashed the crowd a confident grin before he began to sing. Kevin hadn’t ever heard the song before, and figured they wrote it themselves. It was a catchy tune, and Kevin found himself drumming his fingers along with the rhythm.

Aleksandr’s eyes were now shut as his fingers worked effortlessly, his whole arm seemingly having a mind of its own as he tapped his foot. It almost made Kevin wish he could play an instrument like that.

It was pure talent, and Aleksandr looked like he was enjoying every moment of it.

Aleksandr’s eyes snapped open as his solo came on and Kevin shivered at the pure adrenaline that shined in Aleksandr’s eyes. The pure thrill. Kevin wondered if he would ever be able to feel like that with something.

The song ended and the boys all took a moment to flash each other grins or high-five before they started up the next number.

Kevin was completely mesmerised by them for the next hour and a bit.

By the time Aleksandr had finally made it off the stage, Kevin had been successfully coaxed into having one or two glasses of bear thanks to the woman next to him kept insisting it was ‘her treat’.  The bartender asked her to leave for harassing one of his customers, but still insisted Kevin drank the beer.

It made his head a little fuzzy but he felt kind of good too, so Kevin finished it, not wanting that small buzz to leave. Aleksandr had made a beeline towards him and quickly took a seat next to Kevin’s slouched figure.

His hair was a little damp from sweat, as were his clothes and he looked kind of tired, but still very fulfilled. Kevin smiled slightly at him. “Good show, definitely worth getting groped by half the single old ladies here… And men.” He teased.

“Oh, shit,” Aleksandr mumbled, looking down in embarrassment. “Sorry about that then.”

“I was kidding.”

“Oh.”

Kevin laughed slightly again. “You look exhausted.” Aleksandr grabbed a beer that was waiting for him. Apparently band members got free drinks.

“I am.” He replied, taking a swig of the drink, it didn’t even seem to faze him. Kevin cringed a little, but nodded his head. Aleksandr raised an eyebrow towards the raven haired man, snickering slightly. “Not big on alcohol, huh?” Kevin shook his head, a small smile playing on his lips. “If you don’t drink then I’m gonna assume you don’t smoke?”

“Do you?” Kevin asked, hoping he’d like the answer he received. Aleksandr shook his head slightly.

“’S gross.” He mumbled softly and Kevin smiled even though he could read the mood.

“You looked very happy up there,” Kevin mentioned in an attempt to change the subject from depressing killing machines. “You were in your zone, I think.”

“Did I look weird or something?” Aleksandr asked instantly, looking worried.

“No, no! I meant you looked cool! I mean uh… You usually don’t have that look on your face when you watch me draw.” Kevin laughed nervously.

“You mean the focused look?”

“No, the one where you looked… You looked like no one was watching, like the comfortable and confident look. It was like you were jamming in your basement with friends.” Kevin wondered if maybe he should have kept the subject on cigarettes.

But it was true, Aleksandr always did seem very sad and lonely even with Kevin, but on that stage he was like adifferent person. Someone with know worries or cares, someone that only knew what was in his music and it was kind of amazing to see.  

Aleksandr grinned slightly and nodded his head. “I get what you mean,” He said. “So you liked the show?”

“As a matter of fact, I did, my good man.”  Kevin bowed slightly and faked a British accent that made Aleksandr snicker a laugh. “Problem?”

“Oh not at all, good sir.” Aleksandr replied with his own terrible accent.

“Since we’re on a shitty accent basis, would you be willing to grab some coffee with me tomorrow Sir Aleksandr?” Aleks looked a little bit shocked and Kevin smiled. “Are you shocked by the fact I’m asking you to grab a coffee, or the fact that I remembered your name?”

“Both.”

I’m so sorry this took so long and it’s honestly pretty boring but I just haven’t had any time lately. ;-; I swear though I’m trying.