{3}

Chapter 3: How do you talk to an artist?

Aleks felt his whole body trembling with nerves, fiddling with the straw from his drink as he watched the ice in a cup of water in front of him melt. The last time he could remember feeling that nervous was when they were receiving their final grades back from the 13th grade.

This was considerably worse.

He didn't even know if Kevin had really meant it. Was he joking? Was he drunk? Does he regret asking? Is he going to show up? The questions that buzzed around in his head only made him more anxious then he already had been.

Aleksandr then looked down at his clothes, tugging questionably at the fabric of his black hoodie. Oh god, was he underdressed? Overdressed? Did he look sloppy? How does one even dress when going on a date at a café?

Date...?

Aleks frowned. Perfect, now he was even taking that out of context. God, he needed to relax and just lean back and get a grip of himself. He could not let himself feel so distraught when Kevin arrived. But the word still lingered in his head.

A date... Could this be a date...? Would he be alright with that? Does he think it's a date?

With a shuddering breath and a small jump of surprise his head snapped up to see Kevin barrel through the door to the café, his hair messy and breathing heavily. He took one look at Aleks and smiled brightly. "Hey," He breathed with a soft sigh, walking towards Aleks. "I'm so sorry, I slept in and my family was being a bitch and I thought you might've gone home by now anyway so..."

"It's fine." Aleks smiled shakily, watching Kevin as he took a seat and trying his best to ignore the lingering glances of staff and customers who were disturbed by Kevin's sudden entrance.

"Was I too loud?"

"Maybe a little." Aleks hummed. Kevin laughed softly and Aleks felt the tips of his ears heat up as he listened to his slightly awkward giggle.

"Sorry, I don't do these things often."

"Yeah, same." Kevin shuffled a little, looking around. Aleks had, of course, always assumed Kevin would probably be awkward with conversations, but this was bad. Two awkward people who hardly know one another on their own trying to make conversation was just not something that really worked out.

"Hey, uh, do you go to school...?" Aleks asked quietly.

"Home schooled." Kevin explained. "Mom said it takes away a person's creativity and they don't teach you the stuff you need to know anyway. But I don't think she thought about the whole 'school is where you meet your friends for life' factor." He smiled at Aleks a little.

"Oh," Aleks nodded. "I go to the college down the street from here. But the whole 'school equals friends for life' thing didn't work with me anyway."

"That's a shitty thing for us to have in common." Kevin laughed with a goofy little grin.

"Yeah, but it's a start." Aleks found a smile growing on his own face. Conversation got considerably easier as time passed. They ate, got to know each other, laughed and then just as they were ready to go their separate ways Kevin asked for his number.

"I think this is more fun than just sitting on that bench." Kevin commented as they swapped phones.

"Just a little." Aleks smiled slightly, grabbing his things and standing up from the chair.

"Oh, hold on." Kevin jumped, fumbling through the back pack he'd brought before tugging out his art book and from that art book came a bit of paper. "Here." Kevin smiled, handing it to him before waving and walking out.

Aleks frowned, unfolding the bit of paper and examining the picture. It was an amazingly drawn picture of him and Kevin sitting on the bench, the park in the background. The drawn boy's shadows stretched out, making Aleks assume it was sunset.

Small, demon like anomalies were scribbled around the boys, looking like they were taunting them, but never touching them. He briefly noticed the way the two boy's hands were intertwined and a small message was written up the top.

'You're greater than you make yourself out to be, you know
From Kevin'

Aleks went a little redder, and smiled slightly the entire way back to his dorm.

Whoa it's been month wha t
Sorry~ I've just been seriously busy I didn't realise I would get writers block as soon as I began writing. I hope this chapter is alright >3<