eighty seven | visits

F O S T E RG R A Y

F O S T E R
G R A Y

"Frosty? I know you just want to lay here all day.., but we have school.., and we've got to go. Frosty? Foster? Babe, please just wake up," I woke up to Adam's soothing voice filling my ears. I felt his hot breath against my ear which only made me bring my blankets closer to my cold body once I got chills. I tiredly groaned.

"Let me sleep, please?" I begged the boy. I shut my eyes and rolled onto my other side. Seconds later, I felt Adam's weight on top of me. He rolled off of my body and into the small space between me and my wall. I opened my eyes with tiredness. "What?" I groggily asked.

   He stuck out his bottom lip, observing my wrecked face with puppy dog eyes.

   "You don't want to go, do you?" He asked me. I shook my head. Going to school today was the last of my worries. He slightly nodded. "I don't think a lot of us are going today." I let his words sink in, them letting out a sigh. Goodness, he was right. I needed to be there today. "Huh?"

   "I'll go," I murmured, "I need to be there for them."

   "Foster, you don't need to be. If you want to stay here, stay here. Bombay said he'd right an excuse for you, right?" He asked me. I stayed silent. I rolled onto my back and gazed up at the ceiling. Beside me, Adam propped himself up on his elbows, gazing at me from where he laid.

   I nodded my head, "I mean, yeah, but still. Connie and Julie cried all night and I just sat here hugging the-"

The door suddenly flew open. I heard heavy panting coming from whoever walked in. I slowly sat up with Adam's help, only to see Mrs. Cameron and Isaac standing there.

"Mrs. Cameron," I heartbrokenly breathed out, tears starting to form in my eyes.

"Isaac! My man!" Adam shouted. The two of us leaped you're from the bed. Mrs. Cameron met me half way and engulfed me into a big hug. I hugged her back and started to sob on her shoulder.

"Mrs. Cameron, this is all my fault, what am I going to do?" I cried. She pulled away from me, placing her hands on my cheeks and wiping my falling tears with her thumbs.

   "Do not blame this on yourself. Hans was sick, darling, it was his time to go. He did his job here. Sweetie, I wish I knew what to say. Just know that I'm here for you and none of this was your fault, at all," she faintly rambled to me. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly while having a tight grip on the woman's jacket. She rubbed her hand in small circles around my back, comforting me.

   I could feel Isaac's presence behind his mother. I needed a hug from Isaac. He had always been like a brother to me, and his hugs were the ones I always looked forward to. They were the hug of a brother, a true brother.

   I slowly pulled away from Mrs. Cameron. I carefully walked behind her to Isaac and was quick to engulf the boy in a hug. He gripped onto the sleeves on my shoulder tightly, placing his chin ontop of my head while I looked to the side. I felt more comfort instantly.

"I'm so sorry, Foster," he spoke softly. When I pulled away from him, I sent him a small smile.

   "Thank you."

I sat in my English class, bouncing my heels up and down against the floor. The class was whiter than it had ever been. All of the Ducks were in this class, and we were all mourning and upset.

The teacher hated how quiet it was. She tried to lighten the mood by dancing to a song she pulled up in youtube, but Adam and I were the only ones to spit out a laugh. Hans had a great impact on us all.

Charlie hadn't shown up to school. I wasn't surprised. Charlie was super close with Hans. They had a bond that no one could ever beat, as well as Coach Bombay.

The classroom door suddenly opened. My eyes wandered upward only to see Dean Buckley trailing in with his head down and his hands in his pockets. He exchanged a few words with Ms. Davenport before turning to all of us in the front of the room. He grabbed all of our attention.

"Ducks," he softly spoke with a sympathetic tone, "I would like for you all to meet me in my office when the bell rings, would you?"

I looked around the room nervously seeing no one make any kind of interaction with the man. I gulped and looked back up at Dean Buckley, nodding my head. He sent me a small smile.

"Great," he responded enthusiastically. He turned on his heels and walked back out of the room. I turned to Adam.

"I wonder if we're in trouble," Adam murmured. I shrugged my shoulders. I didn't know why the dean wanted to see up. A small breath escaped my lips before Ms. Davenport started to teach again.

Following the bell, we all obeyed Dean Buckley's order and headed straight to his office in a big group.

   Everyone gathered onto the couches. Since there wasn't enough room, I stood behind Adam who sat down because he hadn't gotten any sleep last night and he was tired. He wanted me to sit, but I insisted. My hands rested gently on his shoulders, giving him a small massage while we waited for the dean to walk in. Soon, he did. I turned my attention to the man who sat at his desk. He firmly folded his hands together.

   "So," he started, "a lot of teachers have came and talked to me today with concern about you all. I wanted to bring you all in to see what is going on."

He gazed at all of us waiting for an explanation. However, no one spoke. Everyone looked around the room with complete sadness and despair. I felt terrible.

I was upset that Hans was gone too, but I walked into school with a smile forced on my face and a positive attitude in mind. I gulped. I slowly removed my hands from Adam's shoulder and placed them behind my back, rocking back and fourth on my heels.

"Uh, Dean Buckley, sir, we lost someone close to us last night," I quietly spoke up. He looked at me confused like he had t heard what I said. I bit my lip.

"Pardon me?" He politely asked. I let out a small breath. Adam answers for me, a much louder and stronger voice than I had. I let my one hand fall back onto his shoulder.

"Someone who had a great impact on us passed away last night, sir," Adam explained. Dean Buckley's expression dropped. Sorrow replaces his once happy grin.

"Oh, I am so sorry to hear that," he said with nervousness, leaning back into his seat. Adam grabbed ahold of my hand tightly causing my nerves to ease. I glanced down at the precious boy. I slightly smiled. He always made sure I was comfortable no matter what. I looked back up at the dean. "Well, if you want, you all can either go back to your dorms our your homes, or you can stay here. It's all up to you. I suggest you guys get some rest for your game on Friday against the Jets," he grinned. A small breath escaped my lips.

   I was so grateful to hear those words. Quite honestly I was surprised he was letting us do this, but it made me feel so released.

   I sent him a compassionate smile and nodded my head. We all thanked him before piling out of his office and leaving the school.