eighty four | pocket notes

F O S T E RG R A Y

F O S T E R
G R A Y

-later that night

"He's sleeping now," I informed Kris as I sat at the island in the kitchen where he stood, obnoxiously eating and apple.

"Do you know what happened?" He asked me. I shook my head with a small frown forming on my face.

"I just know that him and Charlie got into a fight at some scrimmage they had today after our pictures. I don't know, he's really upset and I know he's probably going to be sleeping until maybe midnight, so I think I'm going to go back to my dorms to get changed and then go see if I can talk to Charlie before heading over to Hans shop to help him for the night," I rambled on to Kris. I felt as if I was annoying him, but when I looked up at the boy, he had a look of interest on his face. My face softened knowing that he was actually listening to me.

"I know you, Foster, and I know that even with what you just said, all you really want to do is stay here and be here for him," Kris called me out. I sighed. He was completely right. I wanted to stay here for Adam in case he woke up. "Just go. He'll be fine. I promise I'll text you if he wakes up or if anything happens, okay?"

I sent him a small smile and nodded my head slightly, getting up from the chair.

"Okay, thank you," I told him. He returned the smile.

"Do you want to borrow my skateboard?" He asked. I let out a small laugh. "Because I'll let you borrow it as long as you bring it back when you come back."

I laughed again, "sure, thank you Kris."

I arrived to Charlie's apartment a few minutes before 3. I was changed into a pair of leggings and an oversized NYU sweatshirt that used to be Adam's, and I was comfortable for when I had to head over and clean Hans shop.

Considering the state he was in at the moment, I always checked on him, I cleaned up shop, I'd help work at the store sometimes and I'd always make him a nice dinner. I had just met him at the end of the Junior Goodwill Games, but he was the sweetest old man there was.

Before heading over to the shop, I stopped at Charlie's to see if I could talk to him. I stopped at the bright red door with the numbers 382 imprinted on it.

I rose my fist and paced a small knock on the door. Few seconds later, I heard the sound of the door being unlocked until it finally clicked open. Standing there was a sweet looking lady with red hair and a bright smile. I immediately recognized her as Charlie's mom.

"Hey, Mrs. Conway!" I greeted her with a wide smile which she returned.

"Hi, Foster, are you here for Charlie?" She questioned, moving out of the way so I could walk in. I thanked her and walked into the nice apartment, the woman closing the door behind me. I turned to her and nodded my head.

"If it's okay, I was wondering if I could talk to him," I requested. She nodded her head. She walked over to the small hallway, calling the boys name. Seconds later Charlie popped into view. When he saw me, he rolled his eyes and was about to walk out but his mother stopped him. She sent him a stern look and pointed to the couch. The boy rolled his eyes again before huffing and throwing himself into the couch. He had a look of annoyance on his face. Mrs. Conway soon left the room and let the two of us alone. "Hey, Charlie, uh, how are you?" I nervously asked while I sat down in the arm chair. He stayed silent. I looked down at my hands and sighed. "I just wanted to talk to you-"

"You know, Foster, I was there for you through your entire trip in California, I've always been there for you. And you repay me how? By joining the stupid varsity team and playing their little stupid pranks," he snapped. I felt my cheeks turn red. I let out a shaky breath.

"And I appreciate you always being there for me and I will never forget everything you've done for me. Never. I'm so grateful you were there, Charlie, I really am. Look, I didn't want to join the varsity team. I had no say. It was all up to Coach Orion. And all of the teams stupid pranks, I had no part in. I had no idea what was going on at the dinner until Adam told me awhile later. He had no idea either until it was too late. We may be part of the Varsity team, but we don't associate with their stupid shenanigans. I don't like people doing things like that to me, so why'd I do it to someone else?" I ranted. I was becoming angry. I realized my attitude wasn't helping the situation. There was something more going on. I let out a small sigh. "Charlie's, what's going on?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "just a lot, I guess," he murmured. I bit my lip, trying to think of something. When I did, I felt my face light up.

"Remember that one day in California, I think it was after or before the first Iceland game, we all walked into the locker room and there were little notecards in our lockers?" I mentioned. He slowly nodded his head. "Do you still have yours?"

He nodded his head again. He leaned forward on the couch and pulled something out of his back pocket. It was the card.

"I carry it with me everyday for good luck," he told me. A small smile tugged on my lips. That made me extremely happy. I pointed to the card and leaned back in my seat, crossing my legs over one another.

"It's doesn't seem like you read it everyday," I fired back. Charlie sent me a harsh glare.

"And what does that mean, Foster? You know, I don't see how you come over here and just give me all of this crap about everything an-"

"Charlie!" I interrupted with a louder voice. The boy suddenly stopped. I could tell he was shocked at my tone. My always calm tone was now replaced with a harsher one, "read it."

He sighed. He brought the card to his face and started to read it out loud.

"You'll have good days, bad days, overwhelming days, too tired days, I'm awesome days, I can't go on days, and every day, you'll still show up. Just because your day is bad doesn't mean that your life is falling apart. It's a bump in the road that'll soon be gone. Surround yourself with those you love. When you're having a bad day, they'll be at your side, but do not push them away. You need them, they need you, they love you, and they want to be there for you," he read. He let out a small sigh before looking back up to me. He started to frown.

"Charlie, things have been crazy since we started school," I started, "I know that everything going on is overwhelming, but please, don't push us, your friends, away. We want to be here for you. We care about you, especially Adam. He is your best friend. Nothing can change the cute little bromance you have. The bond you two have is a bond that will forever last, a bond you can't lose. He'd never do anything to hurt you, just like I know you'd never do anything to hurt you. And I know you probably hate him right now, and I swear I will have this same talk with him, but you both need to talk and make up."

  Charlie stayed silent. He gazed at the floor with a blank stare, twiddling his thumbs. I stared at him and patiently waited for a response. He slowly looked back up at me.

  "I'm sorry I put ants in your sheets," he told me. I let out a small laugh.

   "Don't be. That was a great prank. How'd you even come up with that?" He shrugged his shoulders.

   "I don't know, but I didn't expect for what happened to happen," he said. I shrugged my shoulders too.

  "Don't feel bad about it. I'm okay now, I swear," I assured him. A smile started to grow on his face. He placed the card carefully back in his pocket.

   "Are you going to Hans shop tonight?" He asked me. I nodded my head.

  "I want to try to go every night. He worries me, ya know?" I questioned. Charlie nodded his head in agreement.

   "Tell him I said hi."

   I smiled wide, "don't worry, I will."