Epilogue

And so the sun rose, ending the longest night. The world had continued on while we were sleeping and left us behind. It was difficult at first, that everyone should go on after what had happened, but they weren't there. For them, it was another day. We would catch back up to them but slowly. 

The customers I met the next morning commented on my tiredness but were otherwise oblivious. All of them asked me without fail if I had heard that the abandoned house on Mainstreet blew up in the middle of the night. The newspapers called it a miracle that the Great War era bomb hadn't exploded sooner. In reality, Silas had been caught and it was no longer needed, it could be buried. Any evidence they needed had been carted out that night. 

The doctor had taken Silas's notes from the collapse back to our apartment and spent days pouring over them. He didn't think it was safe to let the military have it, even as evidence. He offered to let Everett read them too, but he wasn't interested. In the end, he didn't want to know what Silas had done. The pair of them burned it together in the fireplace of the lower apartment over dinner.

Once the doctor was done mourning the monster his friend had become, he invited Beatrice to stay with us. She was more then happy to oblige and appeared on our doors steps so quickly that it was as if she had packed her bags already.  I was glad to have her around, there was a liveliness she brought out in the doctor that warmed the whole house. 

Everett sold the greenhouse and took poured his savings into a newer one on Stanley Island just south of us. He said there were too many bad memories and he needed a fresh start. He offered to take me with but I had to decline. We still took the time to see each other every other week when he took the ferry over to tend to Fairberg's floral needs. 

With the doctor's emotional stability improving I was able to spend more time on my studies and spend less time at the shop. I was accepted to the University at Ellington for the Fall semester and I needed to be ready. 

I had adventures to seek out, and curiosity to sate.