Chapter 11 - Part 1 of 2

Start from the beginning

The ringing had stopped. I sighed in relief, only to be disappointed as it rang once more. I guess I had not a choice, after all.

One…

Two…

Three…

“Hello?” I answered, my voice holding uncertainty.

“Alice, where on earth are you?” My mother demanded, her voice filled with rage and worry. “I just got a call saying you weren’t in class.”

I smacked my head onto the wooden table. It caused more pain than I expected. Farewell to the brain cells I had just killed. “I… I’m not feeling well,” I reasoned. I searched my brain for something to say, yet I could come up with none.

“You what?” my mother asked. “You have better not be lying to me. Do you understand, Alice?” she warned, suspicion taking over her earlier panicked tone.

 “No, mom, it would be stupid for me to skip classes for no reason. Don’t you think? After all, I was the one who wanted to return to school,” I reminded her, in hopes to rid her of her suspicions.  I hadn’t the slightest idea what else to say. After everything I had done when I was in school back before I was diagnosed, it was difficult to prove my innocence. I disappointed my parents a whole lot. I did senseless things when I was younger.

“Yes. Well, where are you?” she asked once more, still seeming as though she had not believed me in the slightest bit.

“I’m about to head home,” I said, and decided to stay true to my words. I exited the coffee shop without further ado, and began to walk towards the house. “Like I said, I’m not feeling well.”

My mother sighed in frustration. “Why didn’t you just go to the nurse? Alice, you do know it’s not safe to---“

“Yes, I know, mom. I’m sorry, alright?” I hurriedly cut her off, not wishing to hear whatever it was she had wanted to say.

“Fine, Alice. Just hurry home,” she said, as if deciding it had been no use to try and lecture me through the phone.

“Bye, mom,” I said, as I shut my phone and continued towards the house.

“Alice Christina Denvar, do you have any idea how worried I was?” my mother demanded as soon as I had stepped into the living room. Her hands were crossed against her chest in anger. “You should be ashamed of yourself! And you have better not be lying to me about how you are feeling, young lady,” she warned yet again.

I refused to answer, instead kept my gaze beneath me. It was a wiser choice to remain silent, after all.

“Alice, look at me!”

I groaned, before lifting my gaze to meet my mother’s, and before I had even the chance to speak, she gasped. “Oh! Alice, what happened? You look so pale!” she exclaimed, worry replacing her earlier fury.

I remained silent, deciding it best to do so. I fought back the urge to speak out, instead kept my lips pressed together.

She made her way towards me quickly from across the room, but before she could reach me, I turned back. I had not needed her pity. In fact, I truly detested it when people would turn towards me in nothing but pity. It had made me feel weak---- vulnerable.

“Alice, wait!” my mother called out, but I refused to listen. “Alice!”

I ignored her, as I made my way towards my room. I knew I had not only hurt her but disrespected her as well, but I was much too tired to do so much as to lie in bed. I felt guilty, yes, but there was nothing I could have done.

As soon as I had reached my room, I shut the door quickly. I exhaled sharply, before climbing onto the bed and pulling the covers over my weary body. I needed sleep. Rest was a necessity. Especially for what was to happen later tonight.

I could do nothing but hope all would be well.

-------------------------

I shifted in bed, as I awoken. I blinked repeatedly, until my eyes had adjusted to the sight before me. Darkness had filled my room. I had not the slightest idea for how long I had slept, but what I was certain of was that I felt better---- more energized, I supposed. I yawned, as I sat upon my bed. I turned towards the clock, only to feel panic as I had read what time it had been: 7:50pm.

Oh, dear Lord.

I cursed repeatedly, as I had bolted out of bed and fumbled for clothes. I had not the slightest idea how I would get to the park on time, but all I was ever certain was that I needed to get there. Fast. As soon as I had been dressed, I hurriedly wrote a note to my family:

“To whoever finds this first,

I went out to meet up with a friend. So sue me.

-Alice”

I left the note on my bed, before heading out silently.

-------------------------

As soon as I had arrived at the McClellan Park, I sighed in relief that he had not arrived yet. I was hoping to arrive first, and fortunately, I had been able to do so despite the fact that it was already past eight in the evening.  I sat on a bench to calm myself, as I awaited Drew’s arrival. I kept my gaze upon the lake before me. It had looked absolutely beautiful at night. It surprised me greatly, the fact that there was hardly anyone in the park.

As I allowed my gaze to wander towards the rest of the park, my thoughts began to wander off as well. To say that I had been nervous for whatever would happen tonight was merely an understatement. In fact, I was far beyond nervous. I could not help but wonder what kind of truth would be revealed to me tonight. What was it that Drew had been keeping from me all this time? Would learning it be of any importance at all? Why had I even cared so much?

My thoughts had been interrupted, as I felt someone’s presence from behind me. My breathing hitched, for it had not taken a genius to realize who it had been. I chewed on my bottom lip, as I pleaded with myself not to turn and look towards him. I refused to give in to temptation.

“I suppose it was never possible for you to have ever forgotten, really, Alice. I was hoping you had after all those years. I mean, in all honestly, how old were you at that time? Nine or ten years of age?”  his voice asked with disbelief. It felt surprisingly good to hear his voice again. His voice. Him.

Still fighting the urge to face him, I did all I could to hide my confusion. “You came,” I muttered, although I was not certain if he had heard me.

“Yes, I do believe I did,” he responded.

***************************

Hey guys! Yes, part 1. Teheeee.... Sorry for the length, by the way. I was...busy. As always! Hahah. Belated Happy New Year to all of you! :) Part 2 of this will be really, really long. Secrets will be revealed. A lot of sci- fi stuff. Yada yada yada.  So I hope you guys liked it! 

Vote if you wanna. Comment if you wanna. Yeah. =D

P.S This has barely been proofread so I apologize for any mistakes xP

xLMX