Chapter One

You opened your eyes to another beautiful day, or maybe it wasn't beautiful, it's space so it's not like the weather really determines this stuff. It's more that you were feeling rather optimistic. One of those rare days where you open your eyes and your first thought isn't wishing you could go back to sleep. Sensors in your room noticed your movement and the lights turned on to their daytime brightness. You pulled your feet to the floor and went to go shower and do your makeup, in full Earth 1960's manor (including organizing your hair how you liked it). Last but not least you pulled on a short blue dress, some thin black tights, and black knee-high boots. 

 You left your room and hummed as you walked down the Enterprise corridors and made your way to the sickbay, not bothering to knock as you walked in. You were happy to see there was only one person in sickbay at the time. 

Dr. Mccoy was shuffling things around and making sure everything was in optimal condition for the day. He didn't even bother look up to know it was you.

"Don't you ever knock girl?" he asked in his annoyed Southern accent. 

"Why bother when you know it's always me?" You said smiling. 

He now looked at you and you saw he too was trying not to smile. "And what accounts for your visit this morning?" 

"Same thing as usual." You said as you made your way over to the food replicator and ordered two coffees and pieces of toast, you handed them to him. 

"Lucky me." He said as he sat down on one of the beds and sipped his coffee. You sat across from him and did the same. You weren't sure when this had become a habit of spending breakfast with him, but you guessed it must have been about a year now.  Thankfully Dr.Mccoy was always up before his shift started, trying to organize the medical unit. It was too early for the other nurses to be there, and generally, it was free from patients as well, which frankly was great for visiting with him. You didn't get much other time to socialize with other people in the day because they all worked long shifts, not that you even knew that many people anyway.

"Leonard I was going to ask you what you thought abo-" You began asking him before you were cut off by the doors opening. You squinted out of annoyance before you realized who it was, you stood to your feet in a respecting way. "Captain." You said, acknowledging his presence. 

Dr.Mccoy didn't bother to stand or throw as much as a look at Captain Kirk. He just rolled his eyes at your reaction.

"At ease Lieutenant. Your off duty, you don't have to stand." Kirk said with a friendly laugh. He came and sat down next to you as he discussed with Dr.Mccoy. You zoned out as you ate your toast. You couldn't believe he was sitting next to you, you got more and more nervous by the second. 

"(y/n)? You alright?" Dr.Mccoy asked.

You snapped out of it and looked at him, instantly turning a bright shade of pink. "Hm? Oh yes, I'm okay."

"Ah good. The captain here was asking you what you think?" He said nodding towards Kirk.

"Think about what?" You asked feeling embarrassed. 

"Good God, you weren't listening at all. Were you?" McCoy teased.

Kirk just smiled, "Take it easy Bones. Even the best of zone out during these early hours." He turned back to you,  "I was asking what you thought about the recent computer malfunctions that occurred on the ship yesterday. They seem to be back working today, but I would like to prevent it from happening again in case it were to occur during an enemy encounter." 

You turned your head slightly to the side, "From what I heard it was more of a technical error, which I think engineering can help you with more readily."