𝟭𝟵. 𝖿𝗈𝗋𝖾𝗇𝗌𝗂𝖼 𝗉𝖺𝗍𝗁𝗈𝗅𝗈𝗀𝗒

( chapter nineteen )

━━━ ☼ ━━━

"John B pullin' a Houdini."

It was the next morning and the teens were all set to get the gold once and for all. Pope and Kiara were testing out the pulley system with a tree as Ophelia looked on. JJ and Lia didn't talk about the night before, and they felt like they didn't have to. It was apparent to them that they both knew something was there, and that's all they needed to know for now.

Lia chuckled at JJ's comment, "yeah, where is he?"

"I got my scholarship interview tomorrow," Pope stressed as he let Kie down from the tree gently, "we gotta get this done!"

Suddenly, as if on cue, the boy in question walks up to the Chateau out of nowhere with a distant look on his face. Lia furrowed her brow at John B's expression as JJ called out, "speak of the devil. Hey! Dude, I set up the entire winch to pull the gold up and everything."

"No, he did not. I did that."

Seeing that John B was ignoring everyone, Lia followed him inside, everyone else following her lead, "JB?"

Once the friends caught up and found the brunette boy rummaging through his home, they started to question him, getting concerned.

"You all right, man? What—what's up?"

Pope was ignored.

"What are you looking for?"

Kie was ignored.

"Bro, what's going on, man?"

JJ was ignored.

"JB, please talk to us."

Lia set her sights on the gun in John B's hand. She gulped nervously as she tried again, "John B, what's going on?"

JJ stepped forward in front of the Bennett, "John B, what do you need the gun for?"

The only response was a sudden shove on the couch from John B, the blonde grunting as he hit the sofa. As Lia went to help him, Kie yelled, "John B, chill! What are you doing?!"

"What, are you JJ now?"

Pope's comment got him a push to the table as John B continued on his path. After making sure everyone was okay, Lia and Kie led the other boys outside.