𝟭𝟴. 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖼𝖺𝗍'𝗌 𝖺𝗌𝗌

( chapter eighteen )

━━━ ☼ ━━━

Ophelia Bennett stared blankly at the walls of The Wreck as her fellow Pogues (and Sarah), sat around with her. After watching JJ disappear from their eyesight, they decided to regroup and see what they were gonna do to get the gold and get JJ back.

From next to Lia, John B spoke, looking directly at her even though her gaze was straight ahead, "look, he'll come around, all right? It's... He's doing a JJ thing."

"You think he'll go home?"

Pope shook his head at the Carrera's question, "there's about a zero percent chance that JJ goes home."

Lia scoffed bitterly as she moved her gaze to the table in front of her, leaving back against her chair, "JJ would do anything for that man's approval—no matter how disgusting he is."

The teens looked amongst themselves as they exchanged mildly concerned looks for not only JJ, but Lia as well. Back at Barry's house—the girl looked ready to fall apart as soon as JJ walked away completely. And Barry's attack on her didn't help. The girl didn't utter a single word to her friends, however, just proceeded to get in the van and sit in silence until they parked at The Wreck.

Pope paced in front of his friends after the moments of silence, "okay. It's too dangerous to pawn this thing off piecemeal. So our best bet is to go down there and get the rest of it. Bring it all up and once. Put it in—in a safe or a vault or something. I-I don't know. Just until we can find someone who won't rip us off. I can figure it out tonight, get it done, we can be out there tomorrow morning."

"All right, let's do it."

"Easy."

"What about that thing with my dad?"

"Shit," John B said after his girlfriend's question.

"What thing?"

"I have to go fishing with Ward," the brunette boy answered Pope.

Kie scoffed, "you can't get 400 mil 'cause you're gonna go kill fish?"

"Look, I have to go."

"Blow it off," Pope exclaimed, "it's 400 mil in gold!"

"Make something up!"

John B sighed, "look, I—I have to, okay? He... he saved me, all right? And if it weren't for Ward, I'd been in foster care. So... I have to go. Plus, it'll be better to do it at night. Right?"