Chapter 4

Beca's phone started to ring as she sat by herself at the mixing boards, in one of the recording rooms while at work. She pulled the phone out of her pocket and smiled when she saw the caller ID. "Hey you"

"Hey rockstar, do you have five minutes in your busy schedule to speak to a commoner like me", the sound of Sophie's voice coming through the phone made Beca start to laugh as she leant back in her chair.

"You know that I have all the time in the world for you", she smirked while pushing the chair back a little to then rest her feet on the table in front of her. "What's up, Soph?"

"I had a spare couple of minutes and thought I would check in on how everything is with you"

"Which really means you want to get some up to date gossip on my life", Beca rolled her eyes as she heard Sophie laugh on the other end of the phone.

"Spill the tea, Mitchell"

"Well, I uh.. I've been home from tour for around two months now, currently trying to finish my next EP that is due to be released at the end of this month and-"

"Shut the fuck up, I don't care about your work life", Beca ran a hand through her hair, laughing again, "Give me some juicy details from your personal life"

"My Dad got married a few weeks ago so me and Chloe came home for a week to do that and see her family"

"How is that fiery redhead of yours?"

Beca paused for a second as she thought about Chloe. She couldn't help but be worried about her girlfriend as she went over the past couple of months and how she seemed to be trying to push her away and distance herself. "She's good, she's started college again this week"

"Okay, that was a good attempt but try and not pause for a long time before speaking and then I'll believe you", she heard the blonde smirk down the other end of the phone and continued to listen to her telling off. "So, tell me, what's up?"

"I don't know, that's the problem", Beca shook her head, pushing her free hand into her pocket, "There's something bothering her that she won't tell me and I don't know what to do"

"That's easy, you ask her"

"Is it seriously as easy as that?", Beca smirked and could imagine Sophie rolling her eyes now.

"Yes it is. Relationships are all about communication and trust, as soon as you lose one of those things it becomes dangerous and if you're careful, Mitchell, you might-"

"I might lose her", Beca finished her friend's sentence.

"Exactly, so pull your big famous head out of your ass and go talk to that girl before I have to get on a plane and kick your ass"

The singer laughed, "Maybe I'd enjoy that more than you know", Beca knew that Sophie was rolling her eyes again at her flirty comeback.

"Shut up and go see Chloe"

"Alright, alright", Beca took her feet off of the table, sitting forward in her chair now, "I miss you, Soph"

"Oh yeah? Well you can buy me a drink next week when we all meet up to make up for not visiting me when you came home"

"You got it, gorgeous", Beca smiled for what seemed like the first time all day as she hung up the phone after they said goodbye. Staring into space for a second before noticing the time on her laptop, Beca made a decision to finish early for the day.

...

Chloe was packing up at the end of her lecture. The first week back at college had been a good distraction from the thoughts that seemed to swim around her mind while Beca spent most of her time at work recently. "I'll see you on Monday", Hannah smiled and squeezed Chloe's shoulder as she walked past. Chloe politely smiled back as she packed away the last of her notebooks, slinging her bag over her shoulder before turning to leave the large lecture theatre.