Chapter 9 - Beating Heart

Start from the beginning

"Don't get in my way." Poe cried out and unleashed against him.

"Make it fun for me." was Jesse's response as he quickly pulled up his shoes and wore them correctly. He Gestured that the fight was turning more serious.

Ben's opponent's guard went up, leaving his chest wide open. All he had to do was turn to his other side, face his opponent, wait for gravity to start pulling him down, and then throw his fist out in a straight line, sailing cleanly into his opponent's chest—dead center.

The fight rose to another level. Poe and Jesse, after a short pause, were sparing in a more dangerous mode. Jesse swung a roundhouse punch. Poe bent backward and felt his knuckles swish past his nose. His body jerked from one direction to the other, in rhythm to the opposite lines of each attack.

Ben paused, listening for movement. The whisper of footsteps to his left. He turned. Eyes dilated as he noted they were surrounded by more men that were dressed in black. "You gotta be kidding me!" he uttered under his breath. "Poe!" he roared to catch Poe's attention. Poe rose from the last blow Jesse gave him. Ben's cry earned his attention, and he saw that they were outnumbered.

"You guys have a long list of attackers!" Jesse mocked them, "That's beautiful."

"That's not it," he responded as his deadly gaze fell against Jesse. "Would a jumbled group like you ever understand? "

Ice lashed out blindly, felt his fist connect with muscled flesh, and heard a soft "Oomph." A cracking sound echoed through the area as Ice's fist burned against Ben's left side, cracking two of his ribs. He let his guard down as he was trying to prevent a man in black from hitting Poe from behind.

Ice laughed, watching Ben taking a step back, holding against his injured side. "That should hurt!" he winked at him, satisfied.

Ben was off-balance; any block he tried would be weak, so he simply stepped back. A few seconds of break allowed him to gain his breath. He sniffed the smell of sweat and dust surrounding him. The pain had not yet kicked in as the adrenaline was reaching its zenith.

The attack went on...

Rey reached home and prepared to eat some ramen. Her mind was wheeling around Pryde's words. And what made him act so boldly today. She was playing with her food when the door opened, and the Ren Brothers walked inside. Hux waved at her and took a seat on the couch. His expression was serious, and it was clear something was bothering him. Next, she noticed Ben.

A cut against his lips, showing he was fighting. She shook her head and stood up, marking that his body structure leaned oddly. Rey stepped forward and cut his way. She raised her eyes and gazed at him. Her thumb touching the cut against his lips. "Are you alright? What's this?" she questioned.

Ben narrowed his gaze and punched her hand away from his face. "Don't touch me!" he requested and stumbled against her and walked into the bathroom to take a shower and clean up.

Rey watched his surprise. Then turned and faced Hux, lifting her shoulders in disbelief. "What's wrong with him?"

"Ajan Kloss was attacked today by the gangs. He fought with them." Hux told her, "I don't know what happened. You should call Poe! It was serious!"

"What?" Rey quizzed and ran towards her room, picking up her mobile and calling Poe as long as Ben took his shower.

"Poe, are you alright! Hux just told me that..." she asked him, really worried as she wanted to know if he and the rest were safe and unhurt.

"Nothing serious, it could be worse!" he responded, explaining in detail what had occurred.

Rey listened to him as he walked back into the living room and sat down, playing still with her Ramen. She exhaled, "You worried me to death! You are sure you don't need me to come."