if-mccartney

play music above for better experience^
1976

Laura laughed along with Heather, who she had grown quite fond of ever since Paul and Roger had begun to work on a few tracks together. The two women gathered in the Daltrey's kitchen drinking their tea and watching over the rambunctious children who continued to lap around the table.

The husbands had left earlier towards the studio, promising to come back around 1 or 2, depending how busy they would become, and the wives-well they had discussed just about everything; family, friends, who's grocery list is bigger, how annoying the constant people at their front gates were. The thing Laura liked most about Heather was how open minded she truly was, now she had an honest opinion on everything.

"Oh!" Heather sets down her teacup, crossing her legs and leaning in closer so Laura could hear her better. "I forgot to tell you; Roger bought a boat."

Laura nearly spit out her tea, a hand wrapping around her throat to regain her breath as she went through all five stages of grief at once. She remembered when she told Roger getting a boat was a bad idea. He had been talking about it, and knowing how boat trips ended (thanks to her brothers when they were younger) she begged him not to. It never ended well. "Especially with the kids-" she had told him. "It's practically asking for them to fall off and be swept away by the waves."

"Yes, I know," Heather started again, reading Laura's expression without even having to ask. "I told him not to, I pleaded, I got down on my bloody knees!" She chuckled at the last part while Laura was still trying to fully process.

"I'm happy for him," she suddenly blurred out, looking straight into Heather's eyes. "I really am. I'm happy for you, the kids, Roger, everyone! But think about it, Heather!"

"I have, and I do believe he's got a point," she admitted. "Roger's been working non stop for years and years with the band, and now we've finally gotten to a place where we can settle down and start a family."

Laura sipped her tea again, nodding slightly. "I'm happy for you, Heather."

She smiled a bit and turned to the kids, who were still running circles around the table. She stood up and sauntered to the end of the hall, leaving a confused Laura behind her with two batshit crazy children.

After a few minutes, a sister pushing a sister, and a bit of hair pulling between the two, their mum arrived back.

"Alright, I've phoned the daddies, and they said they'll meet us at the dock in twenty." Heather smiled at Laura, who had an almost carsick look on her face. "Now let's head out so we can catch high tide."

When they got to the dock, Roger and Paul were already there, beckoning the women over to the boat as it floated on the roughening waters. The girls had bolted out to their dad and uncle Macca, Heather calling after them to watch as they took off down the wobbly dock. The last thing either if the wives wanted was a child struggling in the water.

As they walked they chatted more about the magazine they both received in the post a few weeks prior, and how preposterous it was that one of their favorite designers was closing down their company, after almost 50 years in business nonetheless.

Laura smiled as she saw Paul chasing Rosie and Willow around, Roger beginning to untie the rope from the post. He looked so, natural, chasing them around, like he'd been a father for years. She couldn't help but let her mind wander towards the thought of her and Paul becoming actual parents, something they had discussed a few times before, but with Paul being so busy, they wanted to hold off for a while until they could settle like Heather and Roger.

"Girls! On the boat please-" Roger paused abruptly when he saw Paul with ahold on Rosie's wrists, dangling her over the water as she screamed in joy, her blonde hair curling with the window. Willow was standing behind Paul on the dock with her little yellow sandals and pigtails, watching as her sister had all the fun. She averted her eyes and walked to her daddy, and he picked her up and placed her on the deck of the boat.

"Roger, please be careful!" Heather warned. Laura would have agreed, but she was too busy watching Paul peck Rosie's cheek before she was off to her father too. Paul felt her eyes on him, and turned to see her staring at him in awe.

"Come 'ed then, don't wanna miss the ride do we, Laura?!"

dad paul dad paul dad paul dad paul dad paul

i love him so much ugh.

also happy late birthday to him, sorry i didn't post anything for you mr. mccartney.