CHAPTER 1

PREVIOUSLY ON KISMET

This is my story, of how unjust the gods were on me...
But I was always just to gods...
I worshipped the goddess with all my heart and soul.
I prayed and honoured all her festivals...
I sang only of her worship and praises...
I was a true servant of the moon goddess...
But she was never true to me...
She condemned me to die!!!

KIRA'S POV
My fate was decided even before I was born...
I've always cherished each waking day as my last...
I'm princess Kira, daughter of King Gomez, the protector of the realm...
And also known as the marked one or the cursed one...
I was born with the mark of a full moon on my wrist...
Years before I was born, my great-grandfather committed a grave mistake, as a result, a great calamity befell my people...
My great-grandfather stole and traded the octavis (moon shell) to a magician to save my grandfather's life...
This huge mistake, resulted in deaths and chaos in my land, until, my great-grandmother interceded with the realm king and the goddess of the moon but they remained silent. A few months later, the realm king heard our pleas and accepted our burnt offering...
The realm king took away our kingdom's biggest pride which was our strength in war...
Our land was cursed off any victory in battle until the marked born restores the octavis before the blood moon...
The high priestess pleaded with the goddess to send unto us the marked child but she refused...
She told the high priestess that patience is a good virtue...
Our people lamented to the realm king, they stopped worshipping the moon goddess... As a result of this, the moon goddess cursed the marked bearer to die on the night of the first crisping of the first full moon after the blood moon...
I unfortunately was the marked bearer...
And also the cursed one...
But the question that always baffles me is, why would the goddess curse, the one whom they favoured..??
Why should I be punished for my great-grandfather's mistake..??
Why should they determine my end way before my beginning...???
Why would they give life to me and rob it of me...???
I have the right to back down from this task ahead of me but I won't...
I'll prove to the gods that I'm not who they think I am...
I'll prove to them, that despite being condemned by them, I'll adhere to their commandments...
I'm not unjust like them...
I won't turn my back on my people...
I won't abandon my people because I was being punished...
I'll fight peace with war...
I'll rescue my people from the doom that's fast approaching...
"Kira!!"My brother called out as he pushed my door open...
"You should learn to knock.. that's the essence of the door..."I said wearing my sandals...
"Maybe next time... The high priestess is on her way here..." he said smiling sheepishly...
"And..???"I asked applying rose petals on my bed...
"Ooohhh goodness.. it means the festival is about to commence.."My brother groaned irritatedly...
"Is that the reason you barge into my chamber...?? Because you know I'm very much aware of what you're saying... It's almost the Dawn of a new day, every child in this community knows that the priestess arrives after the sound of seven gunshots...
And it's just three shots heard remaining four, brother..."
"Ooohhh!! Well, I just wanted you to walk beside me..."
"It's not your coronation day, it's just the regular moon dance festival..."I pointed...
"I know... But what if I find my mate tonight..?? What if I don't like her..??" he grumbled...
"You won't find your bride tonight, even if you do, it's not mandatory to marry her immediately, stop complaining like a child and act like the fearless leader everyone knows you to be.."
"I can only share my fears and worries with you... No one has seen this weak side of me apart from you because you're my best friend and my only sister.." he paused...
"And I don't wish to be king... I hate that duty with all my heart and soul.."
"I Know..."I interrupted him.
"I just pray the gods to appoint Ziza as the next king... Because I would rather be a warrior than be a king.."
"I pray so too... Because being a king sucks badly.."I said and the fourth gunshot was heard...
"She's getting closer..."I grumbled...
"Let's enjoy today because this is the only day we don't train our butts off..."My brother said
"I still enjoy training more than dancing, it's a girl thing..."
"You're a girl.."
"I know... But I'm different, I'm a warrior and not a dancer..."
"I know but you've to got good dance steps... I want you to show off your talent, so those lazy maidens will know how special and different you are. .." he said and embraced me...
"Have I told you how happy I am to have you as my brother..??"I asked him...
"Yeah!! But I love to hear you say it again.." he said I jokingly punch his stomach and he groaned before bursting into laughter...
The fifth gunshot was heard...
"Time to go..."I said with an outstretched arm open for him...
"Let's show off..."He said grabbing my arm...