Something Was Off

Start from the beginning

He was nearly successful but then an unnaturally sweet voice crawled up his spine and made him freeze in fear. A fear only his mother could hide within him, like he was a scared child once again.

"Nagisa~. Come here, sweetheart." Her word were singsong and taunting, an empty welcoming tone.

Nagisa turned around but hesitated to move forward. She had not been looking at him, but once the pause had become too long for her standard her head snapped towards him to reinforce her authority.

"Nagisa~..."

Nagisa approached his mother fearfully avoiding her gaze. He stood before her stiffly and waited for her to speak.

"Good boy," She said with a content purr. She petted him in appreciation but it soon turned into stoking. She let his hair down to it's full length, and continued to stroke it now in longer strides, "oh Nagisa, you have such beautiful hair, so soft and well kept. My hair wasn't quite as lovely when I was your age."

It was clear that the older woman was stressed, she often petted his hair when she wasn't in the best place.

She twirled a strand in her fingers gently as the other hand caressed his face, "and such beautiful skin too, you've been taking care of it. Such a good boy. I bet all those young alphas are just breaking there neck to catch a glimpse of you, you're just so beautiful."

Nagisa stayed still but his eyebrows furrowed as his entire face contorted in a cringe expression.

His mother seemed to notice. She let out a soft laugh and put her fingers through his hair right past the glands of his head, "it is nothing to be ashamed of, dear. It is natural for a young omega like yourself."

Nagisa did not appreciate the flaunting of his new found biology. They had only just found out and the realization was still hitting hard. He'd always thought he was a beta, like most people. It was much too soon to be cheerful over the change considering he was not yet comfortable with the idea. It was a big change after all. He could no long just be normal, he'd have opportunities with this new change but also hardships.

It seemed inappropriate to bring up to topic with such a joyful attitude when he himself had not decided how he felt about the situation. It'd take him awhile to decide whether or not this was good or bad news, or if it effected him at all.

But he wouldn't share this concern with his mother, he wouldn't dream of it.

His mother hummed as she continued to pet his gland with more attention, "have I ever told you how badly I've wanted a girl."

Nagisa nodded hesitantly, the answer was yes it would always be, but the way she asked the question was different, it was in present text in comparison to how'd she'd say it in past tense before. Subconsciously he felt like he should answer differently because the question was altered, but he knew it was the same question he had always been given. And it had the same answer every time.

"I'd fantasize about little dresses and dolls and shirts every night, Nagisa." This also caught the boy off guard. Her sentence was pointed at him directly, but the woman before was distant, off in some fantasy somewhere. At this point she'd usually just ramble about the things she'd get to do with a girl, sigh, give him fake reassurance and send him on his way, but today was different, something was off.

She kept a tight yet gentle grip on him, when she was on these rants she tried to keep him as distant from him as possible, looking away from his boyish face and just petting his long hair. But now she was holding on to him with her hand, she couldn't keep her mind distant from him if she was touching him. But even the way she held on was off, like she was anchoring herself to reality with the contact.