19

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

19. Storm

╚═══════════════╝

Lorna saw Jason, clutching Leo's arm, flying towards the Argo II with a small speck following him. It looked like Frank had turned into a pigeon. As soon as Jason landed, he collapsed. Lorna ran towards her boyfriend and got some nectar. She tricked a small amount into his mouth. While passing the flask of nectar to Hazel, Lorna caught Percy staring at her. She ignored it and faced Jason.

"Lorna," Hazel put a hand on her shoulder. "I can take care of the boys, you should go and help Percy fend the... attackers off."

Jason nodded and gave her a small smile. Lorna gave him a kiss on the forehead and headed off to stand beside Percy.

The dock was overcrowded with romans but with the twins working together, their powers were increased. No one on the Argo II had seen them in their full power before, and this was barely half of it. It was almost as if they were glowing. The waves listening to their every command, washing and hurling the romans off. Some romans even backed away seeing the two children of Poseidon working together.

Lorna registered Coach yelling, "Kill them! Kill them all!", and Leo started to move the ship. Giant eagles swooped down and tried to trample Leo who screamed loudly.

Jason raised beside Lorna and together, the three demigods summoned a storm.

Water and wind churned together. Waves heaved against the ramparts and lightning flashed. Giant eagles were knocked out of the sky. Wreckage of the flying chariot burned in the water, and Coach Hedge swung a mounted crossbow, taking potshots at the Roman birds as they flew overhead

Piper stood at the gangplank, ready to hoist Annabeth up.

The Argo II was already pulling away from the dock. Annabeth leaped and grabbed Piper's outstretched hand. The gangplank fell into the sea, and the two girls tumbled onto the deck.

"Go!" Annabeth screamed. "Go, go, go!"

The engines rumbled beneath them. The oars churned. Jason changed the course of the wind, and Percy and Lorna called up a massive wave, which lifted the ship higher than the fort's walls and pushed it out to sea. By the time the Argo II reached top speed, Fort Sumter was only a blot in the distance, and they were racing across the waves toward the ancient lands.

Percy, Jason and Lorna kept the storm going until they got farther from Charleston. It seemed like forever, but finally the sea calmed and the winds died.

Percy and Jason sat with their backs against the mast, their heads slumped in exhaustion. Lorna was under Jason's arm, snuggled up close to him. Annabeth and Piper were trying to get them to drink some water.

Hazel and Frank stood just out of earshot, having an argument that involved lots of arm waving and head shaking. The argument stopped abruptly when Hazel saw Leo stagger across the deck. Everybody gathered at the mast. Frank scowled like he was trying hard to turn into a bulldog. "No sign of pursuit," he said.

"Or land," Hazel added. She looked a little green, though Lorna wasn't sure if that was from the rocking of the boat or from arguing.

Leo seemed deep in thought before he turned to Annabeth. "Did you find the map you wanted?"

She nodded, though she looked pale. Lorna wondered what she'd seen at Fort Sumter that could have shaken her up so badly. "I'll have to study it," she said, as if that was the end of the subject. "How far are we from those coordinates?"

"At top rowing speed, about an hour," Leo said. "Any idea what we're looking for?"

"No," she admitted. "Percy?"

Percy raised his head. "The Nereid said Chiron's brothers were there, and they'd want to hear about that aquarium in Atlanta. I don't know what she meant, but..." He paused, like he'd used up all his energy saying that much. "She also warned me to be careful. Keto, the goddess at the aquarium: she's the mother of sea monsters. She might be stuck in Atlanta, but she can still send her children after us. The Nereid said we should expect an attack."

"Wonderful," Frank muttered.

"Can we get the ship aloft?" Jason asked. "If we could fly—"

"That'd be great," Leo said. "Except Festus tells me the port aerial stabilizer got pulverized when the ship raked against the dock at Fort Sumter."

"We were in a hurry," Annabeth said. "Trying to save you."

"And saving me is a very noble cause," Leo agreed. "I'm just saying, it'll take some time to fix. Until then, we're not flying anywhere."

Percy flexed his shoulders and winced. "Fine with me. The sea is good."

"Speak for yourself." Hazel glanced at the evening sun, which was almost to the horizon. "We need to go fast. We've burned another day, and Nico only has three more left."

"We can do it," Leo promised. "We can make it to Rome in three days—assuming, you know, nothing unexpected happens."

Frank grunted. He looked like he was still working on that bulldog transformation. "Is there any good news?"

"Actually, yes," Leo said. "According to Festus, our flying table, Buford, made it back safely while we were in Charleston, so those eagles didn't get him. Unfortunately, he lost the laundry bag with your pants."

"Dang it!" Frank barked, which Lorna figured was probably severe profanity for him. No doubt Frank would've cursed some more—busting out the golly gees and the gosh darns—but Lorna interrupted by doubling over and groaning.

"Did the world just turn upside down?" she asked.

Jason pressed his hands to his head. "Yeah, and it's spinning. Everything is yellow. Is it supposed to be yellow?"

Percy looked at his hands and glared at them. "I can't see my arms.'

"Summoning that storm really sapped your strength," Piper told them. "You've got to rest."

Annabeth nodded agreement. "Frank, can you help us get the guys belowdecks?"

Frank glanced at Leo, no doubt reluctant to leave him alone with Hazel. "It's fine, man," Leo said. "Just try not to drop them on the way down the stairs."

Frank brought Percy down first, then he helped Jason to his cabin while Piper and Annabeth helped Lorna. They were about to put Lorna in her own cabin but Lorna protested and whined until they brought her to Jason's. They carefully aided her to the bed where Jason was resting. With great difficulty, Lorna relaxed beside Jason and fell into a deep sleep.