Twenty Two

August 7th

"It's been 5 days since I agreed to take them and she's not called once."

"Did you try to call her?"

"Yes. Nothing."

"We could drive over there if you want."

"I have a bad feeling about this Sammy."

Jessica took her reading glasses off and pinched the bridge of her nose.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm naus-." Jessica ran to their bathroom before spilling the contents of her stomach into the toilet.

"Jess? Do you want me to go grab your ginger ale?"

"Please."

Jessica whined as she began wrenching again.

"I'm ready for this part of my pregnancy to be over with."

He came back with the ginger ale and handed to her.

"Where's Sophie?"

"In bed with Jaxson. Every time I tried to pick her up she screamed and reach for him."

Sam chuckled and bent down to Jessica and rubbed her back.

"I love you and our little bean."

"We love you too."

"I'm glad, because your stuck with me."

"No one I'd rather be stuck with."

*

Jessica, Sam, and Sophie laid in the bed that night. Sophie slept peacefully while Sam and Jessica talked about Janet and why she hadn't called yet.

"Sam, maybe I should call her."

"Maybe, but don't be surprised if she doesn't answer. It's pretty late."

"You're probably right, but I feel like I should try anyway."

*

Jessica grabbed her phone off the bedside table, and made her way downstairs so she wouldn't wake Sophia. The phone rang for a while before going to voicemail.

"This is Janet, leave your name and number after the beep and I'll call you as soon as I can."

"Hey Janet, it's Jess. I was calling to make sure everything is okay. I know you've been going through a lot and need some space, but the kids really miss you and I'm sure they'd love to hear your voice. Give me a call as soon as you can. I love you."

Jessica went back to their room and saw Sam and Sophie fast asleep. She smiled at them, he was going to be a wonderful father.

*

Sam, Sophie, and Jaxson woke Jessica up with breakfast in bed. Pancakes, bacon, and toast. As thankful as she was, her mind didn't stay on the food long. She couldn't help but think about Janet and why she hadn't called.

"Thank you! It looks delicious."

Jessica went to the bathroom after eating and walked downstairs to the kitchen.

"Where are the kids?"

"Jaxon is watching tv, and Sophie is in her Pack n' Play. Tell me what's wrong, I can see the worry all over your face."

"I'm worried about Janet. Maybe we should stop by."

"I would, but I promised Jaxon I'd teach him how to play go fish. How about you go down there so you can see that everything is fine, so you can calm your nerves?"

"I wish you'd come with me, but I guess I can go alone," Jessica pouted before continuing, "but it's best in case something turns out to be wrong."