22

The first day went by fast

The first day went by fast. Everyone tried to drink only at the end of the day, and Ivar found himself blinded by hunger. His hair laid in Ronja's lap as she calmly steered the boat.

"Why do we need Halfdan?" Ronja didn't let her eyes stray from the sea. After a long defeating silence, she turned her eyes on the man tied to the yard.

"We're sailing to Trondheim, the one who rules there is powerful enough to help us." Halfdan seemed to straighten at the mention of that kingdom.

"The ruler of Trondheim, has a personal vendetta against Harald, with his brother we have assured ourselves a hearing with them." Ivar picked up his head from her lap, his electrifying eyes, coercing her gaze to turn. He raised an eyebrow at her.

"So, they're not your friend?" Ronja tilted her head a comical look crossing her face. "Let's just say that we're close." Ivar raised his brow, and a bloodthirsty smirk appeared.

"You slept together!" Ronja could almost feel the jealousy radiating from him. And could definitely feel it when his hand tightened at her hip. A bruising grip.

"Not exactly." She could tell her eyes were comically wide. She felt her insides tighten with excitement as he breathed through his nose. She would never admit it out loud, but she liked how possessive he was. His hand tightened on her thigh as he leaned closer.

"It has been four years," Ronja whispered silently, trying not to catch the attention of people on the ship.

"How do you mean, not exactly?!" His fingers moved upwards on her leg, and Ronjas eyes widened even more if it was possible.

"The ruler is a woman I slept with her brother, alright." She breathed in one breath, and her grip on the steering oar tightened. Why did she admit it, couldn't she just lie. Oh, that's right, she wanted Ivar to know her past and know everything. "It was years ago." Her voice grew shy, and Ivar appeared to finally relax. His hand loosened, but his fingers still itched closer to her core. His eyes held hers, and a moan escaped her when his fingers slid over her covered mound.

"I wish I could take you, but I don't want anyone else seeing what belongs to me." A harsh breath escaped her when he pulled his fingers away. After hand slid over her chest and took its place over her heart. "I own this." A giggle escaped her at his reminder. This was probably as close to I love you they could get.

Her fingers traced over his temple before she circled his head. "And I this." His lips captured hers, and she arched into his touch. Is this how love felt? Hooking her fingers into the belt of his pants, she pulled him closer.

Once they pulled apart, her lips pecked his neck before her hand returned to the oar. "You should eat," Ivar told her before his head rested back on her lap. His hand started rubbing her stomach.

"I will, but only if you eat with me." A frown was on his face as he watched her stomach. Was it bloated, or did he imagine it?

"Ivar" —her raised eyebrows made him smile sheepishly— "stop and go get us some food!" She nodded at him commandingly, and he gave her a grin before standing up. Her eyes stayed focused on him, ignoring any eyes that watched her.

*

"She's only using him." Gunnhild raised her eyebrow, so now they were talking. He didn't mention her pregnancy and seemed to be giving her the silent treatment. Until now.

"She's not." His sea blue eyes turned to her with an offended look. As if commanding her to side with him.

"You seem to think you know women, but trust me, I know them better." Bjorn raised an eyebrow at her voice, an amused look in his eyes. But it still didn't stop him from making accusations.

"She's using him and you so she stays alive, and who knows where she's leading us!" His whole face was set in a scowl, but Gunnhild herself barely saw him relaxed.

"She cares about him, otherwise, she wouldn't have returned!" Gunnhild hated when he disagreed with her, especially when they both knew she was right. His teeth gritted at the harsh whisper she used on him.

"Not only she knew about your pregnancy before me, but she also pushes you against me." His lips turned into an angry line as they always did when he was angry and his hard accent hit her with his harsh breath.

"She knew because she was paying me more attention then to some slave." Gunnhild's voice was dangerously calm, but her eyes were anything but. Her high cheekbones made her face look perfect, and Bjorn tried his best to stay angry. Was he honestly that neglecting? His blue eyes reached her stomach. His son was dead, and his daughter stayed in Kattegat, he left his mother and brother behind, too. He moved closer his head low like a scolded dog.

"I'm sorry." His hand rested on her stomach, and she didn't have the power to move away. She knew the truth, she loved him more then he could ever love her. "I love you, but I don't trust her." Gunnhild chose to ignore it and simply enjoyed his caress.

*

Ivar threw the water at Halfdan and he caught it with his tied hands. Halfdan tried his best to look relaxed, as he shifted against the yard. Halfdan raised the water sack before sarcastically saying, "Skål." Ivar smirked his way before bending slightly. "You should relax it's going to be a long way." Halfdan seemed to try and make himself appear taller.

"They will kill us all in Trondheim!" Ivar shrugged his shoulders as if he wasn't bothered by the idea and leaned back. His eyes squinted at his words before he smirked and turned around a loaf of bread in his hands.

"Here my Queen." Ronja laughed and rolled her eyes before taking the bread and braking it into two. Throwing the smaller half his way with a cheeky smile, Ivar couldn't stop the laugh from bubbling out.

"They won't kill us. I promise you Ivar." He nodded at her and gave her a short sweet kiss before reclaiming the place in her lap.