When the King announced the contents of the scroll, a moment of stunned silence submerged the room. 

'This is not possible,' one of the ministers voiced his opinion, 'We haven't spoken a word about the Crown Prince's disappearance.' 

The Royal couple had not let news of the Prince's disappearance reach their subjects. In a day, the celebration would continue as if the tragic incident didn't take place at all. It would hurt the confidence of their people if the news reached them. 

Apart from a selected few, none knew of it- not even the maids and the manservants. Though they knew they couldn't control the gossips, they decided to take a chance. 

The letter from the Demon King changed everything. 

'This proves my theory that there are Demon spies in the castle! It's one of us!' another minister cried throwing the hall into chaos as each of them accused one another. 

'That is enough!' The King's voice boomed in the hall. His order was met with silence. Satisfied with the response, he spoke, 'Rowan, I need your opinion.' 

A few snickers followed but Sir Rowan ignored it. 'If the Demon King truly has the Crown Prince, then we are walking on thin ice. It is highly unlikely that there are any spies among us. It a possibility but I believe we must look into it at a later date. We know that the Crown Prince is a responsible young man and he would not abandon us like this.' He paused as he needed the courage to speak the following words, 'It might be true that the Demon King has our Prince.' 

The Queen wanted to cry again. The news was tearing her apart. 

'What does the Demon King mean by 'precious item'?' Amara spoke up referring to the words that were written on the scroll. 

The King glanced at his Queen who sat lifelessly on the throne, her gaze rested on the double doors on the far end of the hall and then drew in a deep breath, 'That we must ask him.' He addressed the warriors inside, 'Send him in.'

His order was obeyed. 

When Amara saw the smug look on his face, she lost it. Green wispy tendrils reached of the messenger who stared at it. The smug look had fled his face, replaced by the look of pure terror. He tried to squirm away as she neared him but the warriors who had escorted him inside held him in place. 

Her eyes were dangerously green as whorls of a darker hue floated around her. 

'Where have you kept him?' She barked at him. 

It was satisfying how he tried to wriggle away from her- like he had any chance of escaping her. The rage that bubbled inside her wanted her to snap his neck and send his remains back to the Demon King.  

'Speak!' 

Her trembled at her harsh tone. 

'Amara,' The Queen called out from behind her. The unusual calm in her voice pierced the younger woman's psyche. She looked over to the Prince's mother who stood tall, her palms pressed against together in front of her. 'We will achieve nothing threatening this minion.' The last word was spoken sharply. 

Amara wanted to argue but held her tongue. 

'I have a message for the Demon King,' Queen Ravenna said. In an instant, her calm facade was dropped as she sneered her threat, 'If anything, anything happens to my son, the fire of a thousand hells will rain down on the Demon Kingdom. Mark my words, minion, a scratch on my son and all of demon-kind will pay the price.' 

The calmness returned to her face, 'Is that understood?'

It amazed Amara how the Queen was able to invoke more fear in the messenger. 

The man swallowed before he nodded, 'Y-Yes, Your Highness.'

'What is the so-called 'price' that the Demon King asks for?' King Samuel asked. 

The messenger's eyes darted from Amara to the Queen and then to him- as if he expected them to attack him- before he spoke, 'The Dithrai Prince had stolen something very precious from him. We ask of you to return it at the earliest if the Prince's life means anything to you.' As soon as those words left his mouth, he knew that he had overstepped his boundaries. 

'You dare accuse us of stealing?' Tyhane struck his fist on the table to which the messenger visibly flinched. The hostile environment seemed to have scared him good because he began to speak politely, 'Forgive me but I am merely repeating the words of my King.'

'What does the Demon King accuse us of stealing?' Amara spat. 

There was a pregnant pause before he spoke again, 'I'm afraid I don't know.'