59.

The gossip the old demon spurned at her was of no use. Amara tried to remain unbothered but her emotions were everywhere. Her harsh emotions manifested into furious brush strokes on the floor. Unease for brewing in her gut as the ominous aura weighed down on her. 

She had felt the same presence in Damien's study on the day he had disappeared. 

As she looked at the state of the room and the red whisps the emanated from the corner of the broken hall, she wished she could know what had happened there. For the most part, no one save the old and Emery even tried to talk to her and that was a problem. Since she could not go and strike up a conversation with anyone, she needed them to come to her. 

It wasn't her intention but she used a little bit of her magic to get the floor sparkling. 

She could already feel their gazes on her, wondering how she had scrubbed her part of the floor clean that it was sparkling. They were whispering about her. She could hear them loud and clear. 

'That's some great job,' Emery knelt next to her, smiling brightly. 'How are you doing it?'

Amara had the answer planned before she started using it. She lifted her brush and pointed at the uneven bristles. 

'That's it?' 

She bobbed her head. 

'Hey! Everyone!' Emery cupped her hands over her mouth and called out. 'The newcomer has got a remedy for our pain!' 

And just like that, a crowd gathered around them and Amara was the centre of attention. Everyone was acting kindly toward her, asking her questions. Emery answered for her saying that Amara could not speak. 

Because there was no way Amara could convey her name to anyone, she was just referred to as 'the newcomer'. She had no qualms with that. 

When they brought their brushes to Amara to make the bristles uneven, she used her magic. 

In one evening, she was the talk of the castle. Emery did not leave her side. Apparently, the demon liked the attention too much. 

'We make a great team!' The demon wove her arm around Amara's as they walked back to Mrs Lira who was in the kitchen. 

But Amara was getting impatient. 

She tugged on Emery's arm and pointed at the hole in the ceiling. 

Thankfully, Emery understood. 'You want me to tell you how that happened?' 

Amara bobbed her head. 

The maid drew closer and whispered, 'There are rumours that someone talked back to the Queen so she shot him down with her powers. Most of the warriors and the servants in that room died. The few of them that survived have remained unconscious.' 

Amara fought the urge to clench her hands into fists. Rage roared in the blood. Just let me get a hold of her!

'Oh dear, are you sick? You look a little flushed.' 

She relaxed and managed a smile as she shook her head. She motioned for her to go on. 

'Thankfully, the Queen survived,' Emery continued, 'She's out of harm's way but unconscious. But I'll tell you a secret?' 

Amara nodded eagerly. 

'I heard someone say that there was one among them who was not a demon and he survived.' 

Her heart soared at those words. Trying to appear curious, she bobbed her head furiously. 

'And don't tell anyone but I went to see who it was,' Emery swept her eyes around to see if anyone was listening. Her red eyes sparkled, 'I bet you've never seen breathing Dithrai before.' 

No, Amara shook her head. She was so close. 

So close. 

'Do you want to?'

She bobbed her head. 

'Then let's make a deal.'

Amara blinked. It was a little unexpected. She wondered what the demon would ask of her. 

'You seem to be getting quite popular and I've always wanted to be because we could get promoted,' Emery explained, 'I will be your translator. That means you will not speak to people without me. Only through me. Do that for a week and I'll take you.' 

Amara resisted the urge to raise her brows at the strange bargain. However, she was quite apprehensive because she could not befriend anyone else and extract information. 

'So what do you say?'

There was no use for it.

A week? She did not have that kind of time.

She had received confirmation that a male Dithrai was in the castle alive. It would be in some reclusive room. Raphael had been kind enough to give her some information about such chambers.

Amara had to stick to the plan. She did not know if Emery was bluffing. 

She pointed at her head. 

'You need to think?' Emery's smile dimmed. 

Amara nodded. 

Emery's eyes hardened. She let go of Amara's arm and looked head as if she were offended. Amara couldn't care less about it. So she let her be.