64.

'Damien!' Felicia's eyes sparkled as she engulfed the Dithrai Prince into a tight hug. 'You're here!' She cried into his shirt. 

Alistair cautiously moved toward Raphael and tugged his hand. 'Why is a mother crying?' 

Raphael's face mooned into a bright smile, 'She's very happy to see them.'

'Who are they?'

'I didn't know you had a son, Raphael,' Amara addressed him before he could reply to the boy's question. 

'Oh, no,' he shook his head. 'You've got it wrong.' 

'He's my ward,' The First Warrior spoke up. 'His name is Alistair.'

Prince Damien was shocked. For the first time, he noticed the missing baby bump. Naturally, he assumed the worst. He grabbed Felicia by her shoulders. 'Ward? Did something happened to your child?' 

'I had a healthy delivery, cousin.'

The demon boy wrapped his arms around Raphael's knees and tried to hide.

For a couple of moments, the prince remained stationary. Felicia eyed him nervously, 'Damien, let me explain-'

He stumbled toward the kid and looked at him, affectionately, 'It's nice to meet you, Alistair. Welcome to our family.' 

Alistair approached him timidly, 'Who are you?'

'My name is Damien Starfire and I am your uncle,' the prince beamed. He looked over his shoulder and gestured at Amara, 'She's your aunt Amara.' 

The demon boy burst into tears just like his mother had when she had spotted the prince. Felicia knelt on the ground and tried to stop the kid from shedding so many tears whilst grinning as though he had won the entire world. 

'We're moving towards a different future,' Raphael smiled. 'A better one.'

Prince Damien mirrored his expression. 'I hadn't even considered our kinds mingling like this but my friend,' He placed his hand on the demon's shoulder, 'you changed that. 

'Once, I was oblivious of this wonderful path, but now after all we've been through, I see it, and I believe that we might be able to make it there.' 

Raphael glanced at the mother-son duo. He turned to face the prince again, 'I'm counting on you, Prince Damien.'

He meant well, the Dithrai Prince knew that but those words opened a void in his mind. 

How many more were counting on him?

And how many had he let down?

Cold dread seared his spine. He quivered at the realization of how long he had spent in captivity. The repercussions would be grave.  

'Okay, you two,' Amara intervened. 'I know you have a lot of catching up to do but let's get going.' 

'I'll prepare the wagon,' Raphael volunteered and disappeared into the darkness. 

Amara snaked her hand into Damien's. She beamed at him but when she saw sorrow etched on his face, she asked him, 'What's wrong, Damien?'

He didn't look at her. 'I don't know, Amara,' he breathed. 

He had let everyone down. His people, his family, her- everyone

He raised his injured hand which was stained with blood. He stared at it strangely before he closed his hand into a fist. 'I- I don't know how to tell you this.' 

'You don't have to hide anything from me, Damien,' She spoke softly, placing her hand on his fist. 'I love you.' 

He turned away, as though he was ashamed. 'I feel like a shadow, Amara. All that I used to be... I am not.' He looked at her with tired eyes, 'I don't think I am the man you loved anymore.' I let you down

His words did not hurt her much as his tone did. He sounded so defeated. 

'Listen to me, Damien,' She held his hands. 'I know you have changed but it doesn't matter to me because I have changed too. Believe me, when I say this, I love you more than I did before.'

'You love me even when I'm nothing but a broken man,' Prince Damien pulled her into a tight embrace. 'Thank you, Amara.'

You're not broken! She wanted to scream at him but emotions welled in her throat, drowning her words. 

In a few hours, dawn broke the purple sky scattering its golden-red light. The wagon moved slowly, lugged by two horses. 

Prince Damien was fast asleep, his head resting on Amara's lap. 

Felicia watched fondly as Raphael taught Alistair how to use the reigns.  

The First Warrior was grateful to the peaceful couple who shared the wagon with her. She had expected the prince to oppose her decision because he had lost so much.

She had expected the same from Amara as well.

Instead, she was met with a bright smile and some encouraging words. 

Her eyes wandered to Raphael's face. His grin was stretched from ear to ear as he guided the little boy. She wanted to apologize for all the harsh things she had ever said to him. 

'What happened, Felicia?' 

The Frisir faced Amara whose profile had become hazy because of the tears in her eyes. She blinked and wiped the tears with the back of her hand. 'I'm glad you didn't listen to me.' 

Amara was startled.  'What do you mean?'

'I'm glad you decided to trust Raphael.' 

Upon hearing his name, the former demon General looked over his shoulder, 'Did anyone call my name?'

Felicia looked down at her fidgeting hands. 'It's nothing.' 

He shrugged it off. 

She wondered if her father would accept Alistair.

He hated demons with a passion. He had lost his eyesight in an attempt to save Prince Damon. He was respected for the sacrifice. However, there were times when her father lost his temper and spoke ill of it. His resentment toward the demonkind was strong. 

But there was hope.  She had assumed the same about Prince Damien. He had gotten over his grudge and accepted Alistair. 

She hoped that the others would do that same. After all, she had promised the little boy the love of a family. 

Amara was mindful of Felicia's state. 'You don't have to worry. I'm certain Raphael has forgiven you but if you wish to, you can apologize.' 

Felicia acknowledged her words with a nod. 

Amara stroked Prince Damien's hair. She played with his soft tresses. They had grown longer and lost their former lustre.

His bones were protruding from under his skin. He had lost his strength and his endurance. Whenever he ate, he couldn't have more than a few bites. 

I feel like a shadow, Amara. All that I used to be... I am not. 

You love me even when I'm nothing but a broken man.

She wanted to tell him that he was wrong. 

He has changed, she could admit that but he wasn't a shadow of the person he used to be.

He had outgrown his former self. He had become liberal to changes- something that he wasn't before.

Hidden behind his tired eyes, she could see a sparkling vision, one that promised peace and prosperity. 

She traced his jaw lovingly. It seemed as though her love for him had grown deeper. She was so proud of him that she wanted to cry. She draped her arms around him and pulled him closer, resting her head on his head as contentment filled her heart.