54.

Prince Damien noticed how delighted the Demon Queen looked when a servant announced the arrival of a messenger. She shot him a smug look before dropping her spoon on the table. The sharp sound was unwelcomed by most. 

In a sickly sweet voice, she allowed the messenger to step inside. 

Behind the prince's plain mask, several questions loomed. It had to be a message from the piece of the army the Demon Queen had sent toward Tracovia. Though he was assured that his parents would deploy more warriors in the province, he couldn't help but think where Raphael's loyalty lay. 

Had the demon even tried to contact Amara?

Prince Damien swallowed. The action was overlooked by the Queen before him. She was too engrossed awaiting the news that was brought to her. 

He willed his mind to rest. It would be of no use to ponder over it. The truth was going to present itself. 

'Dear, dear, what a wonderful timing,' the Queen wiped her mouth with a napkin as a sinister smile appeared on her lips. While the messenger bowed, she removed a couple of rings from her slender fingers, 'Here, this is for you. A prize for bringing me such wonderful news.' 

She sounded so confident. The Prince was glad that he wasn't paying much attention to her for if he had, he would have missed the faltering steps of the messenger when he approached her to take his gift. 

Something was not right. 

'Your Highness-' the messenger began. 

'Cut to the chase, dear. Tell me-' she glanced at Prince Damien, 'and our esteemed guest here that Tracovia has fallen just as I had planned.' 

Prince Damien saw the look of fear that crossed the messenger's face. 

It looked much like fear. 

His knew at that very moment that the Queen's plan to invade Tracovia had been foiled. 

The Demon Queen scowled. 'I do not have all day, messenger!'

The messenger quivered under her powerful gaze. He gulped. 

Prince Damien could understand the demon's apprehension. The poor being would lose his life if he delivered such a grim piece of news. 

'The message!' The Queen slammed her fists against the table. The sound of the shivering cutlery caused the messenger to fall on his knees. 

Upon observing his condition, she sat back and exhaled. Her face frosted over while her red eyes burned with an intensity that conveyed her rage to all those present in the hall. 'Tell me, messenger. I will not hurt you.' 

This seemed to have encouraged the messenger enough to speak. His speech was sluggish. 'The attack was called off.' 

As expected, she did not keep her word. Her face twisted, 'Why?'

'General Raphael disappeared before the attack. The other Generals suspected betrayal and saw fit to postpone the attack.' 

Prince Damien maintained his composure. The doubt in his mind evaporated but he did not want her to know. 

'Raphael,' she snarled and clenched her fists. She gritted her teeth. In deathly silence, her fury weighed heavy. 

And then, in a fickle moment, she burst out laughing. 

The Dithrai Prince hid behind a mask of indifference, however, her act sent chills down his spine. There was no way he could tell what she was thinking. 

She wiped her tears with the back of her hand. 'Oh my,' she finally managed when her laughter subsided. 'Excellent decision on their part.' 

Reaching for a goblet, she took a sip of whatever that was in it. She eyed the prince and gave him a cruel smile, 'Well, I was hoping it wouldn't come to this but...' Her breath came out heavy as if she lamented her own decision. 

Prince Damien wasn't a novice. The plan she was thinking of gave her much joy. If he dared, he might even say that she looked delighted. 

'I suppose I can't help it,' She set the goblet down before she tucked her knuckles under her chin. Her red eyes bore into the Prince's blue ones. 'Times like these, they test me,' she chuckled. 'But it's nothing I can't handle.' 

With a smiling face, she addressed the Dithrai Prince, 'You have never quite understood my curse, have you?' 

She had the Prince's attention. 

'You took my son from me.' She turned away from him. 'My brave son. He was supposed to be the greatest demon alive... He was until you murdered him.' 

The Prince kept his mouth shut despite the rush of white-hot anger that seared him. Harsh words wouldn't do him any good. He could only observe. He could only study everything in hopes that he could use it to his advantage when the time came. 

'Then you had to steal his head,' She shook her head. 'It is painful but the curse... it makes everything worth it.' She leaned on her elbows, 'Don't you want to know what that is?'

He said nothing. 

She gritted her teeth, annoyed by his silence. 'Of course, you are. You would want to know.' 

His hands twitched. 

She was right. He did want to know but she didn't have to know that. 

'I have heard a lot of incidents where you attacked your own people.Did you ever wonder why your transformation always made you barbaric?,' She smirked. 'Did you ever wonder why it is so painful?'

His feet moved ever so slightly. It took all of his will power to keep his mask on. 

Raphael had saved Tracovia for now. It was his turn. He couldn't give her the satisfaction of watching him wither. 

'It is really simple,' she grinned, 'If you applied yourself, you'll see how simple it is.' She had learnt that waiting for an answer was futile, so she continued, 'But of course, simplicity is beyond you. 

'My curse originates in your hate, Prince Damien.' She leaned closer. Her red eyes gleamed wickedly as she whispered, 'It is as simple as this. You despised my kind, and you still do, so I cursed you to be one.' 

The Prince's body froze. Her words fixed the pieces together and when he understood what the entire picture conveyed, he was terrified. His transformation... it was almost demon-like. How had he never noticed that before? Despite all the evidence in his past, he ripped the doubt out of his voice before he spoke, 'You jest. You have no power over me, Queen Seyanora.'

She laughed again. It boomed through the hall sending a chill down his spine. 'You simply don't understand, Prince Damien. I don't need to have power over you. As long as you hate my kind, which you always will because they killed your dearest brother-'

He snarled. 

'- the curse will prevail.'

He wanted to hurt her. 

He wanted to kill her.

But he settled for something that didn't do either. 

He smirked, 'I believe you have misjudged me, Queen Seyanora. I do not hate you, nor do I hate your kind. I simply pity you.' When her fury flickered on her face, he continued, 'You lost your son and then you lost your King.'

She growled as she rose from her seat. Her form was quivering with hostility. 

Prince Damien was unmoved by it. 'If you're not careful, you might lose your kingdom.'

For a moment, he thought she would strike him down with her powers. 

She took her seat. 'No matter,' she waved her hand dismissively. 'I have already made up my mind.' 

He leaned back. The cushions behind him seemed to have morphed into thorns. A swell of emotions drowned him and as the moments ticked by, he found it harder to keep a straight face. 

'Tomorrow, at dusk, there will be a public execution. The demons will witness the great Dithrai Prince die a shameful death. That, and only that, will be the punishment for the murder of my dear son.'