Apples

Can you see the picture? I've been reading other book and most of the time I can't see the picture.

Slightly edited

Ambers POV

I woke to the birds chirping and the sun slowly creeping into my room. Today will be a great day, I though to myself. I sat up and checked my phone because I heard it go off a few minuets ago, Colton had texted me. He was the only person I texted so I knew it was him.

C:
Hey I wish we could hang out today but I really can't. :( my mom said that we are having a strictly family get together thing and I can't bring you. I'm really sorry

I decided to respond just to let him know I got the message

A:
It's perfectly fine. I understand. I'll miss you! Love you

I got up and did my daily routine when getting ready. When I was ready to pick out my outfit I heard my opine go off.

C:
Love you to! Thanks for understanding babe.

I didn't respond and kept getting ready. I decided I was going to explore the woods today. I was filled with adventure, ready to conquer a beast or something. Today was a little chilly but not too bad. I picked out blue skinny jeans, black converse, and a tee shirt that was white with some logo or businesses on it to go under my coral sweatshirt. I pulled my hair up into a high bun so it wouldn't get caught on anything in the woods. I grabbed my backpack and emptied anything from the move and was going to fill it with supplies, I was planning on spending the whole day out there. I packed the bag with the following: red yarn, scissors, two sandwiches (ham and cheese), 4 apples, a few granola bars, and two water bottles. I had the red yarn to tie on trees so I wouldn't get lost. Now that would be bad.

After I was done eating breakfast I notice that my parents are not home. Although this was good because I didn't want them to know I was going into the woods, I don't know why because they wouldn't care. I make my way out the back door and into the woods. I tie my first piece of red yarn far away from the house not to be noticed. I don't know what I was looking for in the woods, maybe some special place just for myself. My legs soon get tired of waking and I sit under a huge Oak tree. I pull out my phone to check the time, 10:13 a.m. I pull out one of my water bottles and take a few sips. The scenery is stunning. The tall trees with green leaves, the sun beaming through the branches, the wild flowers growing among the grass. It was peaceful and quiet. Taking in the beauty of this place I hear a distressed horse whinny. I quickly put my stuff back in my bad, tie some yarn around the tree and follow the noise. As it gets louder I start to see a building, but it looks like a wreck. When I get closer I see what looks like a barn, it looks old and rustic. Then comes the whinny again. I rush to the barn and open the big door. A chill go's down my spine when I see the horse. It's skin and bones, like a walking skeleton. I slowly walk t'ward the horse, not rushing and spooking it. The horse looks surprised but frighten to see a human.

"It's ok boy, I promise I won't hurt you" I coo to him, still slowly waking to him. I stop to get one of the apples from my bad and hold it out to him. His ear instantly perk up.

"You want this don't you?" I ask in a calming voice. I stop, wanting him to walk to me now. He gets the hint and slowly takes a couple steps in my direction. We are now only a few steps away from each other.

"Come on boy, I don't bite" I say softly giggling to myself. He takes a few more steps. He is now in touching reach. He sniffs the apple in my hand and bites into it. I can tell he's enjoying it because once he's done he nods his head and this time takes the apple with courage. I slowly move my hand to stroke his neck, surprisingly he lets me. I run my hands across his body, feeling every bone. He starts nudging me for more so I grab the other apples and feed them to him.

"You need a name boy" I think about it for a few seconds. "Gatsby" I murmur to myself. "Do you like the name Gatsby boy?" I coo. His ear instantly perk out and he nods his head. "Okay Gatsby" I giggle.

I leave the rest of the apples in front of him and look around the barn. I see no hay, which Gatsby probably ate a long time ago. There are 3 stalls, all pretty spacious, but have holes in the wood and need to be fixed. There has to be a tack room somewhere. One thing I learned while I took lessons was that there's almost always a tack room. I wasn't sure had happened here. Was it abandoned? There's a mound of junk in from of what could be a door. I carefully start to remove the junk and it reveals a door. Slowly, I open the door. It's a tack room! Everything is covered in a thick layer of dust. I think to myself, I really need to clean this one day when I'm free. I close the tack room door and check up on the horse to see if he's okay. Of course, he's like when I first saw him, skin and bones. I don't know why I would think he would be instantly fat after a few apples. He must be thirsty also. I look in the tack room and find one bucket, then I bring it to Gatsby and pour in both bottles of water in it. I hold up the bucket and watch as he inhales the water.

The temperature is expected to drop tonight, I need to find a blanket for him. I go back I to the dust covered room. It's difficult to walk around and touch things trying not to brew a dust storm. There a two large storage boxes in the back that look like they could hold blankets. Sure enough, I was right. These people must have had three horses because there was three of everything. I open the container and grab a navy stable sheet and put it on my precious Gatsby. Then find a hunter green halter and a black lead rope. I slip the halter over Gatsby's head and lead him into the best looking stall and lock it shut. I notice it's getting dark and I better head back.

"I'll back tomorrow morning to feed you boy" I whisper excitedly.