Chapter 8: Heeding the Warnings

Start from the beginning

His face slightly red in anger, Derby glances over at Jungkook. "I would advise you drop this imbecile before he starts causing problems for you." He says, but Jungkook remains silent, not knowing how to reply. "Better yet, why don't you come with us?" Derby asks, peeking his friend's curiosity.

"Derby...we don't even know him." Chad says.

"Yeah, I think allowing him into our posse isn't the smar- er...we don't want to make any mistakes befriending just anyone." Parker says.

"Don't make me laugh. Jungkook couldn't last one second hanging out with you rich pricks." Taehyung answers for Jungkook.

"How about you let him do the deciding?" Derby says, then glaces back over at Jungkook. "Believe me, Jungkook. If anyone knows Taehyung, it's me...and I can assure you - Taehyung isn't worth your time. No, we do not know each other...but this is a great chance for us to start." Derby says, and Chad and Parker peek over at each other anxiously.

"What is he doing?" Chad whispers to Parker.

"I don't know..." Parker whispers back, looking over at Jungkook. "I don't feel comfortable allowing a stranger into our group like this.."

"He's making a big mistake." Chad replies.

"Well, Jungkook? What do you say? We have a free spot at the lunch table that's in desperate need of being filled."

"Um..." Jungkook rubs the side of his arm and Taehyung looks over at him.

"You're not seriously debating, are you?" Taehyung asks, he sounds almost in shock at Jungkook's hesitance.

"It would be best to just end your connection with Taehyung as early as possible. You won't want to end up like the others who had the misfortune of trusting him." Derby says.

"The others..?" Jungkook raises his eyebrow a bit.

"He's just trying to scare you, Jungkook." Taehyung says. "He has it out for me."

"Yeah...him and everyone else, it sounds like.." Jungkook replies.

Taehyung stares over at Jungkook for a few moments in disbelief before he throws his hands up in the air. "Whatever. Do what you want - I don't care." He says. "Just remember who was the first to take you under their wing." He warns, then stuffs his hands angrily in his pockets.

As Taehyung starts walking off, Jungkook looks back over at Derby, who is still offering his hand out. Derby's friends still stand behind him, both looking visibly anxious. "I appreciate the offer, but...no thanks." Jungkook says and Derby slowly lowers his hand down. "To be honest, I don't really know anyone yet, and well, maybe you're right about Taehyung but as for now...I know more about him than you - even if I hardly know anything about him at all. And I don't typically open myself up to strangers." He replies, and Chad's and Parker's face immediately soften in relief.

"I suppose that's fair. But don't say I didn't warn you." He says bitterly, then turns his back to Jungkook. "Come on, chaps. Let's head to the boxing ring and pretend the sandbags are Taehyung's face." Before he leaves, he takes one last look over at Jungkook. "Farewell, then. But if you ever change your mind, my offer still stands."

Jungkook raises his eyebrows, then turns away without saying any more.

Taehyung is walking through the park with his hands still in his pockets, staring down at the ground when he hears footsteps coming up behind him. "Hey." He hears, peeking his attention and he looks over at Jungkook who pops up beside him.

"Hey." Taehyung replies with a quieter voice than usual.

The two are silent for a few moments as they walk side by side, until Taehyung chimes in. "You didn't have to take my side."