Angels Can't Swim

Author's Note: This is set in slight AU of Season Nine. Just after the trials, only Sam doesn't need to be possessed by an angel to heal, so human! Cas gets to stay in the bunker with the Winchesters.

Warnings: This story plays around with feels a lot. Nothing too terrible. Lots off fluff and maybe a death. Tad bit of Destiel because I couldn't resist.

----

'Hurry up Cas!' Dean shouted over the roar of the engine. 'We're gonna be late!'

Cas hurried out to the Impala, a small duffle slung over his shoulder. He threw it on top of the leather seat in he back before sitting down beside the bag.

Soon Dean's brother, Sam, came trudging out as well. A look of exasperation on his face told Dean that Cas had needed some assistance in getting ready for the hunt across the state. This was to be expected from the ex-angel, especially in a human form. Having to pack things he never knew existed for humans, Cas had once again proved himself that as a human he had less knowledge on the beings as a sea slug did.

And so it went on that way for the months that Cas was human. Sam and Dean continued to assist him in his human needs as time progressed trying to teach Cas more about humanity.

Sam sat down in the passenger seat of the Impala; the car sunk lower under his weight. Clouds of dust trailed behind them as the Impala sped away.

In the car Dean made conversation with his brother by asking about what he'd found out about the case.

'Demon omens' Sam answered with a sigh. 'Twelve strange deaths in the past two years. It's amazing how long they've gone undiscovered.'

Dean nodded, his eyes facing forward with one arm on the steering wheel, the other propped up on the window.

Sam leaned over and whispered to Dean.

'Why is Cas coming with us again?' Dean was aware of Cas looking bored in the back seat. He was about to say something when Cas spoke up without warning.

'You know, Sam I am a celestial being. Angel or not I am perfectly capable of hearing you.'

'Right, sorry.' Sam mumbled leaning back on his side of the car.

Dean cleared his throat about to offer an explanation.

'Cas is coming with us,' he started making sure Cas was aware he was also talking to him at that point. 'Because he doesn't know how to take care of himself as a human yet, and so, he will have to come on the hunt with us so we can watch him.'

Cas blushes realizing what situation led Dean to be forced to bring him along.

----

About a week ago, Dean let Cas make his own breakfast; Cas boasting about how he learned from the TV. Dean trusted Cas knew what he was doing, which was a big mistake. In no way was Cas prepared to make breakfast, he hardly knew how to switch stations on the radio. All the same, Dean left Cas alone for a minute. And in that minute Cas had managed to catch the toaster on fire, causing the smoke detector to go off, and burn part of his hand.

'DEAN!' He shouted for the older brother. Dean was already running into the kitchen from hearing the smoke detector go off. Sam was close on his heels.

Dean unplugged the toaster quickly and dropped it in the sink running the water over it. Sam was on a chair, although he was tall enough without one, waving a towel under the smoke detector trying to get it to stop beeping.

Cas held his burned hand against his chest, tears streaming from his face.

Dean sighed peering in the sink at the now ruined toaster. Cas sniffled trying to hold in his tears. Dean turned around at the sound to see Cas clutching his burned hand.