Whatever The Outcome Is

It had been a week since our return to Los Angeles after the New Orleans escapade, when the big night of the MTV Video Music Awards came. This year's ceremony was held at the Nokia Theatre and though it wasn't the first award show I attended, this time LP was nominated among other artists for the « Best rock music video » award with Castle of Glass. I had jumped at the chance to go to enjoy myself, after the guys and our team had benefited from much needed resting time.

I was frantic because of:
1 - the show and nomination,
2 - a flight that would take me on the next day to New York, for the job interview. Yep. After having thought this through and chatted with Corey and Matthew over this, I would take my chance and see if the role could be a fit. They were the only ones in the know and I intended to keep it this way at this stage.

I checked myself one last time in the taxi's rearview mirror before heading to the big and agitated venue. After the greetings and quick chats with acquaintances from other music labels, I escaped the crowd and searched for my seat among (what seemed to be) hundreds of rows facing the stage. Matthew, surprisingly, was already there, lazily sipping at his wine glass.

- « Bonjour stranger, are you by yourself tonight? » I asked as he smiled and turned to examine me.
- « Not anymore dear +1. » He stood up. « Would your sparkly presence pose for me? » he asked as he held his phone in front of me.
I posed there with my glass in one hand and a proud rocknroll handsign made by the other. We chatted for a couple of minutes, waiting for everyone to join their seats before the show begins.
- «Aaand it's live. » Matthew grinned showing me his phone, with the photo just taken posted on his Insta stories.
« Of course you would... » I said rolling my eyes. « Next time ask the permission first, you paparazzo » adding, lightly punching his arm.

Soon after, the six main characters sat two rows before us. Chester winked at us as he checked the crowd and lights went down for the opening performance. My phone's light flashed one last time with a text notification from Corey: « Killer outfit love ⚡️ ». Someone had been scrolling his Insta feed...

 Someone had been scrolling his Insta feed

Fast forward to the afterparty... Linkin Park did not win but the guys were in high spirits, still aiming at making the most of their night. They convinced us to follow them to their DJ friend Steve Aoki's house, where I discovered a legit festival happening in the gigantic backyard and shirtless boys and girls in bikinis monopolizing the pool.
« Remind me again what we are doing here? » I asked staying still, staring at the spectacle that was offered to us.
- « Cause we are cool people hanging in cool places..? »
« Right. » Looking around, I knew it was too early to escape discreetly. « If you need me, I'll be by the food. » I said heading inside.

I actually enjoyed my time, entertained by the cheerful and colorful crowd that was appreciating every beat of the DJ's music. I was reasonable with the drinks as I intended to maintain control over my actions. As for Joe & Mike, the two guys dancing on the impromptu scene next to Steve Aoki, they had clearly been way more indulgent about their alcohol intake. At least they still had a shirt on! Joe was co-piloting at Steve's turntables and Mike seemed to think it was a great idea to throw water at the audience, who didn't complain. What a show. Mike noticed Dave and I hanging out next to the stage and shouted « Join us, this is where you belong! ». We waved at him with no intentions to move. A moment later he had forgotten our existence as he danced with Joe to one of Steve's bops.