Are You Happy?

The first night in NYC was uneventful, as everyone was tired and opted for some rest before the stressful week. Being in a lighter mood, I had spent the evening fixing the details of my wanderings for the whole stay. 

Excited as a tourist (which I actually was), I had woken up as early as possible on the following day to explore the city. The American Museum of National History and Central Park were my focus on this first day, hoping the weather would be mild enough for a walk. The Museum had been my home for the whole morning, it was huge and had SO much to see. As a big fan of dinosaurs (and they had a T-Rex skeleton here!), I had bought funny little dino figurines for the guys, one different for each of them. I had lunch quickly and took an afternoon walk in Central Park looking for the location of the famous Friends fountain... Fruitlessly. I had realized soon enough that the distances in New York from one point to another were much bigger than expected. By 4pm, I was already exhausted by the non stop walking and went back to the hotel.

We were staying in a fancy one near Central Park and shared a whole floor, each of us having his own room

We were staying in a fancy one near Central Park and shared a whole floor, each of us having his own room. The guys were doing radio interviews all day and I wouldn't expect them and Jim to be back before 3 to 4 hours, but I already had an idea in mind on how to spend the evening. I took the phone to text Mike:
« We have some unfinished business Shinoda. This evening: you, me, Bender, Claire and the others will experience the final of our lives. » I would not let him unaware of the Breakfast Club's ending. One has to know his classics.
« This sounds both scary and exciting. But I accept the offer. »
« You won't be disappointed, I promise. Now back to work! »

After a short nap, at around 9pm, I knocked on Mike's door who opened a few seconds later, phone in his hand, gesturing me to come in. As he moved away to go on with his conversation I allowed myself to wander through the huge room, composed of a living room with two couches, a bathroom where he stood, a bedroom whose large windows offered a stunning view upon the city. This was no joke. The piano in the main room caught my eye so I sat on its bench, contemplating my surroundings.
- « Yeah I get it... I'm just bummed you didn't tell me before I leave. » I heard him saying on the phone. « I know Anna, one more week and I'm home for a whole month. We'll go somewhere okay? » A few minutes later, Mike came back from the bathroom, looking vacant, a frown drawing on his face.
« Is it a bad time? I can come back later if you... »
- « No that's fine. » He finally looked up. « Were you contemplating on playing something for me? » he added amused, looking at both the piano and I.
« Ha ha funny, monsieur le musicien. ».
He approached and sat next to me, still thoughtful, his eyes lost on the instrument and his fingers randomly brushing the keys. I kept quiet and observed as he seemed to be in his little bubble. At first it looked like he was just playing random notes but I noticed a combination of them repeating, forming a melody. He ended the piece and lightly shook his head.
« What was it? A song? »
- « It will be, eventually. » He said, now looking back at me. « I haven't recorded it yet, but it's called « Where'd you go » ».
« A sad one so... »
- « A nice one ». He smiled weakly. « Anyways, grab something in the mini bar and tell me about your first day as a New Yorker » he added as he stretched out and jumped on the nearest couch.