High & Low

Four days after the wedding, after our sweet goodbye on the porch, I was ready for round 2: meaning Corey and I's official first date. I had updated Clara on what happened between us and got the response I was hoping, summing it up to: « He's cute, you're cute, you're adults, go for it! ». She didn't know about the "New York feud" between Chester and Mike as I thought that the less I talked about it, the less I would think about it and so, question it.

Being the gentleman he promised, Corey picked me up at my apartment at around 7pm exactly, greeting me with a hug plus an innocent kiss on the cheek, but close enough to the corner of my lips... The tease. We chose to go out for a few drinks and Corey drove us to a bar / music venue where local artists were performing live. At this time of the day it was still relatively quiet.
We took time to dig a bit more into our respective lives. Corey wanted to know how I had ended up in LA, working in the music industry. I wanted to get to know the man behind the band leader, behind the charmer. Through our discussion I learned more about Chester and Corey's friendship. They obviously had a lot in common but really connected regarding their addictions. While I knew Chester was unfortunately familiar to substances abuse and its traps, Corey confided that he had also struggled with alcohol for a big part of his life. He was very open about it. Divorce hit him hard a couple of years ago and made him fall back into bad habits. He had to fight twice as hard and stayed now very careful during his recovery. Thinking back about the moments we spent together, I didn't remember seeing him with a glass of wine, bubbles or any kind of alcohol.How valuable it was to have before you a man acknowledging his weaknesses and having enough will to work on them. I was now contemplating my beer and wondering if my choice of drink was appropriate. A few confessions and jokes later, it was time for a change (and a real meal).
« So, what's next Corey? »
- « Two options: there's a table waiting for us at Craig's... Or a delicioso meal homemade by your humble servant, at my place. What does my lady say? ».
« She wonders if the latter is a trap or if you are you a real cook? »
- « I get by in the cooking of 2 or 3 meals... Do you like spaghettis al pomodoro? »
« Si, le piace molto alla ragazza.» I winked at him.
- « Oh so we add another language to the resume? »
« Nope, the credits of this sentence go to my Italian of a colleague Clara. Fancy restaurant can wait, I'm up for the Taylor's made meal if you let me help with the preparation. »
- « Perfetto, let's go. » he said as he got up and put his jacket on.

At one point during the ride back to his place, Corey took my hand and started to gently brushed my palm. I couldn't hold a smile but inside, I was literally melting. We arrived and crossed a dense garden before entering his home. This is actually when he opened the door and let my hand go that I noticed he was still holding mine. I was offered a tour of the whole house before we took place in the kitchen. He gathered all the ingredients we would need on the counter and started preparing the pasta. He looked up at me, as I cautiously cut the tomatoes.
- « If you want wine, you're free to pick a bottle and open it. » he said indicating the cellar.
« No that's fine, I will have what you have. Plus, you won't be able to take advantage of a drunk me. »
- « Wise decision » he confirmed with a smile forming in the corner of his lips, as his eyes focused back on the pasta.
We tried to be as studious as possible, but I bet we just looked like kids shyly looking at each other and smiling each time they got caught doing so. Dinner was delicious, just like my host. Yes I said it (well, thought actually). Corey was so easy to be with, always had fun stories to tell but letting me enough space to let me feel comfortable with opening up to him.

 Corey was so easy to be with, always had fun stories to tell but letting me enough space to let me feel comfortable with opening up to him