I think it was his hearing aid.

My stomach churned. He cried out once he realized what it was. I watched him resign himself as he buried his head in his arms, legs pulled in. The reality of the situation hit me in the form of a pressure wave, sending me stumbling backward from the window. I threw my wet clothes back on and raced down to find the back door.

I called his name, but of course, he couldn't hear me.

When I tapped his shoulder, I felt his muscles tense at my touch. I first checked that he was okay enough to walk and helped him toward the house. Before we went inside, I leaned down and removed both of our muddied shoes and socks.

Pulling the door behind us, I wrapped him in a towel and drew him into my arms. Although he was taller than me, more so than I cared to admit, I rubbed his back, trying my best to console him. I felt him relax into my touch, resting his forehead on my shoulder. Even though he was cold and drenched, he felt warm against me. Exchanging warmth, I held him even closer.

We stayed like this for a while, with me rubbing his arms until his shivering stopped. I enjoyed the little moments when he'd turn his head slightly, feeling his cheek brush just above my collarbone. Or his forehead would rub against me very slightly, scrunching up my shirt beneath him and reminding me of a cat.

Pulling away to look at him, I brushed his drenched hair away from his face. His eyes were red, and his cheeks flushed.

In the space of two days, he turned from an iron baron to an actually sentient human being. Finding myself weak to the way he felt in my arms, I couldn't believe it took 'til now to realize how vulnerable he really was. My thumbs brushed against his cheeks, feeling his soft skin, and watching how his eyes closed at my touch.

My heart just about lunged for him, reaching out and thrashing everything that came between us; including my own prejudices. His shoulders still occasionally wracked from the last remaining sobs he tried to suppress. I wanted to hold him tighter, tighter again, and tighter still. But all I could think about was how gently and carefully I wanted to treat him. How lovingly he deserved to be treated.

Brushing the last few strands from his forehead, I pressed my lips against it.

Aubrey froze, staring at me. Besides that, he didn't react. Was this his way of accepting me? Surely, he'd get the point of me being gay right now. But the fact that he didn't back away in repulsion, punch me or send me home felt like a positive sign. Something about this felt so right.

My heart raced as I stared down at his lips. They were parted slightly, breathing heavily. My eyes trailed back up to where I kissed his forehead. Unable to help myself, I trailed my thumbs closely around the corners of his lips. He didn't move. His expression didn't change. He was allowing me to do as I pleased.

He wasn't rejecting me.

Then I thought about kissing him. On his lips, this time. How would he react to a boy's kiss? I'd never done it, but I never had any doubt that it's what I wanted. And at this moment, I wanted Aubrey to be my first. My mind and senses practically begged for it, focusing on nothing but his pale pink lips.

But then he sighed, snapping me out of my own little world. Clenching my eyes shut, I collected myself and pulled away.

Besides risking a punch square in the jaw, I wasn't being in the least bit helpful. He needed to get into the shower before he came down with a cold. There was a quiet roll of thunder in the distance, so drowned out by the sound of rain that I wasn't even confident I heard it at all. Aubrey appeared oblivious to it.

I said "Shower," slowly, while flicking my fingers open and closed above my head. He nodded, apparently having understood. Before I could turn around, I felt his arms reach around both of my sides, pulling me back against him. His forehead briefly rested against my neck, then settled onto my shoulder. I heard him sigh again, fingers clutching the back of my shirt.