8: Showing an Interest in Your Internal Organs

Start from the beginning

"Twenty it is." Gerard nodded, "Well, I personally saw to it when the bill had initially been propositioned, having been an unbiased Democrat in a middle-class district. Well, my exclusive opinion on the matter is that insurance for exclusionary and private citizens will be less focused on economic factors and more on the illness itself, dividend fundage being the key in this instance. It just so happens that the government deems the term 'private' in this instant more as 'anonymous' than as 'fancier' and less class-orientated."

Frank frowned to himself at the vagueness of Gerard's answer because technically, he did answer but at the same time he did not. Physically, answering the question without giving a proper answer in true political fashion.

"Right- Right yeah. Thank you. Nextly, a video on YouTube shows Barack Obama back in 2003- only twelve years ago- saying that he is in favor of a 'single-payer' system. The 'single-payer' is government, so this means he was in favor of socialized medicine. And just a few weeks ago, Barney Frank- one of the Democratic leaders in the House- said that he considers the current bill a step toward 'single-payer.' So, when Obama and the Democrats tell us this bill won't lead to a government takeover of health-care, why should we believe them and what are your thoughts on this 'single-payer' as the Congressman of your district?"

Gerard raised his eyebrows as he cut off a triangle of egg and toast and bit into it, chewing as he thought, "My personal thoughts on a 'single-payer' bill, and as a Democrat- is that, written in the bill that had been worked on, it states specifically that Obama and the rest who are in agreement worked on the specifics of the financial sectors and less on government 'take-over' as a whole. The simple fact being, Frank, is that healthcare is a difficult quandary for a lot of people to grasp. There were many in Congress who stood against the bill, almost sixty-percent as a whole because of the financing and would rather see to it that it would be private capitalization rather than 'single-payer'."

"Wow..." Frank smiled, "You know a lot about previous bills."

"I like my politics, Frank." Gerard started on his second slice of toast, " As do you. I'm impressed by your questions."

"Thank you, sir." Frank smiled at the praise, " Uh- the fourth question. Medicare is broke. Social Security is broke. Federal tax receipts are falling, and Congress has already voted on trillions of dollars of stimulus and bailouts in the last year and I'm sure you voted in agreement, sir. The national credit card is maxed out. So, how can you justify voting for a bill that will require even more money that we don't have?"

Gerard eyed Frank, pursing his lips. "What are your thoughts on it, Frank?" Frank sat up suddenly at the change in direction of questioning, but Gerard continued, "Are you so sure I voted in agreement to spend, as you call it, 'trillions of dollars' for Medicare when it's obvious that it's paying out more legality than actual illness? There are people who are filing lawsuits left, right and center against medical practitioners claiming false detriment and you name it. I personally don't justify voting on a bill that will only result in a higher tax ratio for the public which will ultimately cause more damage than a proper solution."

Frank was dumbfounded by Gerard's answer, he was so sure that Gerard would have voted for and not against, and he could tell that Gerard could see it on his face, making him fidget, "O- Oh uh..."

"Calm down." Gerard smiled as he took a sip of coffee, "What's number five?"

"The health-care bill that is being discussed includes huge taxes on businesses to force them to provide more health insurance for their employees," Frank cleared his throat, "As well as a whole set of mandates telling health insurance companies who they have to cover and what they have to cover them for. This is an enormous increase of costs for businesses and insurers alike, down to the small corner shops and single-owner businesses. Have you considered how they're going to pay for all of this, or whether they will even be able to pay for it? How many of these companies will go out of business or lay off more workers after the government forcibly increases their expenses?"