xx - 𝘧𝘢𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘦

Zacznij od początku

However, she immediately relaxed when he smirked almost – dipping his head and his features practically concealed by the brim of his signature Peaky cap. She was sure he'd done that on purpose.

"Perhaps I was one in a former life." The remark was so nonchalant that it appeared he didn't hold her quip with too much severity, which was an instant relief for the psychologist.

A low creak and a bar of light suddenly flooding into the low-lit hall caused the two to look in the direction. Stood in the doorway of the dining room, Tomato soup around his mouth – was young Charlie Shelby. Verity almost felt ashamed at how quickly her mood lifted on the sight of that sweet child. He had been the redeeming quality of her last visit.

"Daddy!" The boy raced forwards at the sight of his father. Tommy was midway through removing his coat when his son practically knocked into him, arms wrapping around so tightly as if he was afraid to ever let go.

It felt like an incredibly rare sight – like witnessing a unicorn creating magic in the middle of a fairy clearing – seeing Thomas Shelby so soft, tender and unashamedly affectionate. He murmured some happy hellos and gave his son a hug that very much reciprocated the one he had received. For those few moments, the leader of the Peaky Blinders was just another doting father. The cap and coat he donned like a second skin thrown carelessly to the ground all for the sweetness of a reunion with his child.

That's when Verity was reassured that everything he tried to put up – the stony cold front, the bitterness and the defensive sarcasm was all but a mask. A mask that shielded him, a cloak that deflected anyone into thinking he never had a soft side. But that was so clearly wrong, and Verity felt silently reassured that he was not the elusive, dangerous figure he wanted to paint himself out to be.

"Have you finished your dinner?" Tommy asked as he pulled away, crouched on the hall floor and eye level with his bright-eyed son.

"Not yet, I heard the car coming and I wanted to see you!" the boy chirped excitedly, Tommy listening away as he wet his finger with a little spit and then wiped away the smattering of bright red tomato soup from around the boy's mouth.

"Right, well you go and finish your food." Tommy instructed as he stood up, holding the boy's hand tightly and looked across at Verity. "And daddy's friend Verity will come and sit with you."

A silent instruction from the Blinder.

It seemed in all his excitement; young Charlie had not even noticed Verity standing there. His smile grew even wider as he set eyes on the sweet faced, pretty lady he remembered from those months ago.

"Verity!" he squeaked, letting go of his father's hand and rushing over like an elated puppy. Sinking down into a crouch, Verity opened her eyes wide for the little boy who ran over with such enthusiasm and childish elation – it warmed her heart so. It was times like this she reminded herself she had lost her nephew and having Charlie around might help her with that.

"Hello young Master Shelby." Verity crooned playfully, pulling back from their big hug with a large grin – framed by her rose-pink lips. "I did miss you." She confessed truthfully and judging by the look on Charlie's face he felt the same. It was clear he had so many things he wanted to talk to Verity about, but she managed to guide them both back into the dining room – where Tommy had already crept away and asked Francis to prepare something for Verity.

Walking the expansive distance to the top of the spacious dining room, Verity sat in the chair adjacent to the one at the head of the table – where Charlie sat, napkin tucked into his jumper and chatting away happily about his day of learning and riding his favourite pony.