Chapter 30

Riley's POV

Halloween.

I've been waiting for this day for a really long time. This holiday is such a big deal in my family, so I'm excited to really get to see what the hype is all about. Max and I are planning on going to this Halloween party that some kid at school is throwing. Everyone's invited.

As if on cue, I hear a knock on the door of Juliet's house. I'm currently alone. Juliet is out taking Anthony trick-or-treating and told me to just text her when Max and I are on our way to the party.

I open the door to reveal Max, dressed as a flapper. She had on a red, strapless, thigh-high dress with a black feather boa, a black headband with a feather on it, black jewelry, black elbow-length gloves, black tights under her dress, and black heels. Her brown curly hair is over her shoulders. Her makeup consisted of a good layer of foundation, black winged eyeliner, and red lipstick.

When Max sees me, she gasps, "It's Halloween and you're not gonna dress like a slut?!"

"Aren't you freezing?" I ask.

"Of course I am, but I look fabulous. Now answer my question."

I was in a "sexy" vampire outfit. The dress was floor length, black and red and it was pretty lacy; it showed off a half-way-decent amount of what little cleavage I have, and it had a slit down the middle that showed off my legs. The sleeves went to my wrists and consisted of black lace. It also had the high up "vampire style" collar. I'd put temporary hair dye in my hair so it was now black. On my feet were black heels. I did a smokey look on my eyes, my lips are dark red, and on my nails are black talons.

"My dad would have a stroke if he saw me in this; I think that makes it slutty enough." I say, "You aren't dressed super slutty either." I point out.

"It's sluttier than your costume." Max says, "But you're right. Your dad wouldn't let you out of your room in that."

"Well then it's a good thing he's in a different country, isn't it?" I ask, "You ready?"

"Yeah." Max says, smiling. I quickly kiss her, then take her hand and we walk off.

x

We walk into the house. A bunch of kids our age and a couple years older are in costume, grinding against each other to bad music playing through speakers somewhere. There's already trash everywhere, and it absolutely reeks.

Yup. Definitely a high school party.

"Gotta pee! Back in a sec!" Max exclaims before running off.

I laugh and decide to just wait where I am for Max. I send a quick text to Juliet letting her know Max and I got here safe. I then put my phone away to see someone walking up to me. She was chewing the inside of her cheek and had an eyebrow raised in a smirk of sorts.

Emily.

Dressed as a witch.

"Hi, Riley." She greets.

"Emily, I love your costume! It's so...appropriate."

Emily frowns and sighs, "Look, Riley...I came to apologize."

I soften a bit, "What?"

"I'm sorry, Riley, for everything. It was foolish and incredibly cruel of me to make fun of you just because you're different than I am...and I feel really guilty about it."

I blink, "Um...Thank you, I guess. That's a really nice thing of you to do."

She smiles, "You're welcome. I'd really like it if you and I could get along and...maybe be friends?"